Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paypal~~Please read >

Paypal~~Please read

Paypal~~Please read

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM

I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear PayPal Member

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PPxxxxxxxxx

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to activate your account

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience
So if you get anything like this, call paypal, do not click on the link provided. Paypal will as you to send them a copy of the email so they can research and try to figure out who is sending these.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 AM

thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 AM

I get about four of those every year...and I don't even have a Paypal account. :lol:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 AM

[quote=Amythyst02]I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

I got the same email about 2 weeks ago. I just deleted it. Paypal has the information it needs from me so I assumed it was a scam. I didn't think to report it here, but I think it is a good thing to do. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 AM
MTS
Banned

Your first clue was the "Dear PayPal Member" salutation.

If you've got a PP account, they know your name and use it in every single piece of correspondence. Same for eBay.

But I wouldn't click on those even if it had my name.
I always sign into the site/account from a new browser window.

Glad you didn't get snagged either. :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

you can also forward the e-mail to PayPal at the following address:

[email protected]

This is the PayPal site for "How do I report PayPal fraud or a PayPal Scam?"

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Help/general/TopQuestion4-outside]https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...stion4-outside[/url]
Old 08-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes, good advice. I get these scammy things from people pretending to be my bank too. I never open anything like that.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 AM

I had one a few weeks ago similar to that but for AOL. It said to do the same thing or my AOL account would be deleted in 24 hrs of my reading the e-mail. I deleted the e-mail and did NOT lose my AOL account.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
you can also forward the e-mail to PayPal at the following address:

[email protected]

This is the PayPal site for "How do I report PayPal fraud or a PayPal Scam?"

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Help/general/TopQuestion4-outside]https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...stion4-outside[/url]
Thanks for including that info, I should have done that !!! I was just in a hurry to get it posted.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Thank you so much for the heads up.

debra