Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of) >

What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of)

What I did this weekend - a comparison of productivity (or lack of)

Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Seems like every week I logon and see a thread titled "what I did this weekend" and it shows an entire quilt (or more!) started and finished in a weekend.

Every time I look at these "weekend" projects I think ... how?

You want to know what *I* accomplished over this whole 3 day weekend?

20" of binding hand sewn to the back the quilt.

BUT ... my stitches are really really tiny :)

When I finish the other 100+ inches and get the label sewn on I'll post a pic of "what I've been doing since FEBRUARY".

How do some of you work so quickly?? I'm humbled.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Don't worry as we all have different speeds. It is great you are almost half way to finish your binding.

I never have anything to post that I did on the weekend.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I so hear you on this! I thought I worked at a reasonable pace but not when I see what some here whip out! I managed to get half of one border hand quilted this weekend. So I handquilted 8" x 45" of quilt.

In my defense I also went to my local farm co-op, picked half bushel of tomatoes which I put up 5 quarts of sauce , 24 Poblano chilis of which I turned into chili rellanos for the freezer, 5 eggplants which became a huge dish of eggplant parm, 2 quarts of pole beans, blanched and in the freezer. And I wonder why I am so dog tired after these long weekends!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM

I'm kind of curious of that myself. If I'm not procrastinating and getting something done it takes me a while. It took me about a week to cut out the clover parts for a Winding Ways quilt I'm working on. And I was bringing the fabric into work and cutting them out during my breaks and spent at least 3 hours every night after work. Took another two days just to cut the leftover fabric into strips for the piano key border. Took another hour or so to straighten, iron, and cut one of the background fabrics into strips. Don't get me started on how long it took to give all those fabrics a Retayne bath. And I haven't made a single stitch yet!

So I want to know how anyne can get a quilt done in a weekend. What's your secret?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM

It took me all of yesterday and until I went to bed to cut and sew together (16) 14 1/2 x 16 1/2 with the first border around it. I was so proud. Now will I ever Finish it.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM

I am certainly envious of those that produce so many beautiful projects in such a short period of time. (If I knew how to put that little green with envy face here I would) lol! I will never be able to contribute to the "what I did this weekend" topic like them. Kudos to you ladies and gents!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Don't ask me! It takes me days just to get fabric cut and start piecing. If I'm real lucky and the pattern is really simple I maybe can get a top done in a week, more like 2 weeks. All this after I have washed an Ironed fabric, changed my mind about a gazillion times on color placement in quilt. Shoped my stash, and made at least one trip to LQS for just that one extra color I know I just have to have only to get home and discover I really do like the color I fount in my stash a lot better. LOL
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM

I think they are just finishing up something they've been working on for weeks or months. So it looks like they did it in one weekend.

When I finally get into a finishing mood, I'll be posting 10-20 tops that will get done in 1 weekend. Because I have most of the square done it's just a matter of getting my behind in gear and putting them together...but I have to finish studying. So it won't be any time soon.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I think I have self diagnosed ADD when it comes to quilting. I get so easily distracted. Get the fabric out, take a break. Iron, take a break, fold to cut, take a break. I don't get much done, but, that's the way it is.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm with you sister...I can't figure out how to make time for it all.