Shop Hop in Texas

Old 09-07-2011, 02:09 PM

So there are 2 Shop hops going on in Texas - one is month-long and other one is this weekend only. This is the first time I've done the hop... I've visited some stores for the month-long hop (over 2 different regions) and saved those stores that do weekend-hop until tomorrow when it begins.

I'll admit that after few stores, they all started to look the same. I also do not make purchases from each store. So I'm wondering if people really visit all stores and make purchases? It does seem like too much drive between stores if I don't make any purchases from each one??

I guess I'm just wondering if it's really worth doing the hop if you don't make many purchases considering the odds of winning the prizes (I'm normally not so lucky in that department). Or do you just do it because you'd get free patterns and check out the stores?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

I did my first shop hop while we were on a road trip last week and we stopped in Kerrville at Creations. I live in Houston. It was awesome - the shop was very busy, the staff extremely helpful and had the best hour and of course spent $$. I am disappointed that my favorite shop in Houston is not participating. I would like to think all the shops listed would have as much excitement. Do they? Not sure I will go out of my way to visit any more tho. Guess I am a sit on the couch shop hopper.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 AM

I do them because I have fun. My DH normally goes with me but he won't be able to.

I think, sad as it makes me, I'll miss this one.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Last Saturday 5 of us made 7 shops in area 4. Then Tuesday we finished up with the other 4. Only a couple of us made purchases. Nothing really called out to any of us. I don't plan to go to too many more.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM

I don't have time to go being football season but my favorite shop in Tyler is participating & I did order a bunch of the fabrics, tote bag, apron & lunch box. Can't wait to pick up.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm currantly living in Southeran California - we have a 40-44 store shop hop in June - I love to go to all the stores, and yes, I have spent a lot of money "stimulating the ecomony". I have also done the same run with a specific scrappy pattern in mind so that I am buying basically fat quarters. Either way, I love the run! Feel bad that I can't join the month long run in Texas - I did do some serious thinking and planning-- maybe next year!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM

The stores are just too many miles (towns) apart in the part of central Texas where I am; the cost of gasoline is too high and I am trying to finish some things for Christmas and not really in the mood to buy more projects just now. So I'm staying home.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM

A girlfriend and I went out today to the N TX shop hop. We will finish up tomorrow. But we have only made 11 of the 14 in the N TX shop hop. It is fun to go with someone else who loves the art of quilting as you do.

I don't buy something at all of them, but when I do buy something it is moslty a fat 1/4 or two, or three or.... LOL. I was looking for some fat 1/4 to go with a focal fabric my daughter had given me for a quilt she wants to make. Plus I am working on a Baltimore Album Quilt and picked up some fat 1/4 to go with this.

I like seeing all the 'new' fabric and getting ideas, but I go with a budget and when it is gone, it's gone!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
I did my first shop hop while we were on a road trip last week and we stopped in Kerrville at Creations. I live in Houston. It was awesome - the shop was very busy, the staff extremely helpful and had the best hour and of course spent $$. I am disappointed that my favorite shop in Houston is not participating. I would like to think all the shops listed would have as much excitement. Do they? Not sure I will go out of my way to visit any more tho. Guess I am a sit on the couch shop hopper.
We were disappointed also to see how few Houston area shops are in this Quilt Across TX hop ... I wonder why ?? They could have had a Houston area Hop alone if more had joined in. Only one shop actually IN Houston is participating, the few others are way out in the far suburbs
ps Creations in Kerrville is probably my FAV shop in TX, always fun and the best staff ... I make a detour there any time we're out in the Hill Country ! :)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM

We have been doing both. Spent alot last weekend for QAT. Didn't buy as much yesterday. Looking for some specific things in mind. Love the going from shop to shop and seeing what's out there. Visited with some of the owners and workers. Many of them are the friendliest, most fun you'll ever meet. I like the patterns that I have been getting.

How's the shop hopping going in the Austin and Houston areas? All of you are in my prayers with some crazy people trying to burn our stated down.