Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what to do with this panel? >

what to do with this panel?

what to do with this panel?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

that is a beautiful panel. I agree with just adding borders of different sizes until you get the size you want.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phannie1
What if you cut the panel into three blocks and then add more blocks that have a farm theme or vegetable theme or stash or frame the panels with same. I could see this with a corn and potato or even tractors. Where did you find this panel?
That is what i would do to. I just finished making a quilt where I cut the panels apart and added theme blocks to it.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM

If you have a stash pick up colors from the panel and make blocks that are farm themed, such as, churn dash, whole in the barn door, windmill. If you can do machine applique or mahine/hand embroidery you can do farm animals in some blocks to surround the panel.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Cut it apart...and start. It'll come to you as you add the borders! There were lots of great ideas on this post! Please show us what you come up with! Have fun with it!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM

How about make Log Cabin blocks to fit the blocks, or if you have to, add a sashing around the farm pcs. Just an idea.

J
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I would like the center panel in the middle, and checkerboard blocks around it, then use the other four panels for the corners.
That's exactly what I would do, using the four smaller panels for the corner around the larger one.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM

That's a really nice panel. I like the suggestions you have already received.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM

What a nice panel that is!! I look forward to seeing what you do with it...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
QM
Power Poster

I love your panel.

What I would do is cut the panel into it's 5 pieces, with scrappy flying geese on a plain background between and outside the smaller ones, with larger ones along the larger section, so they come out even. One could do the same thing with practically any simple block. Of course, you could use simple strips of fabric. Whatever you do, I think it is likely he'll love it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine
At the moment, I am not sure. Have to think about it for a bit. A few years ago, I did six different quilts for Christmas. Each of them started with a panel. Some more simple while others more complex. No matter what I did, they turned out great. Will have to dig up the pics and let you see. I know one of the quilts had Court House style blocks and one had a different layout for a 9 patch. No matter what I put with the panels, they seemed to work great.
Here are a couple of the quilts that I did before. I would take this panel and cut it apart. I like to have things off center in a way so I would put the main panel in the top left. Add some filler blocks, traditional types to go with the theme of the panel. Then in the bottom right side of the quilt, put the four panels to form the corner. 2 along the bottom, 2 going up the side. I am thinking this would give the four panels more of a close up view with the main panel set to look like it is in the back ground. Kind of the way I see them as they are now. The four small panels are very up close while the barn panel is set back a little. Just a thought.

Just a simple panel with a 9 patch going aroun it all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253662[/ATTACH]

Here I used what I believe is a Court House block to filll in the quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253663[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253656.jpe   attachment-253657.jpe