Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have this condition? >

Do you have this condition?

Do you have this condition?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

How many quilters here have any medically diagnosed sleep disorder?
How many use a CPAP machine?

I have just used my CPAP for the first night. I'm still a bit intimidated by it! I have the nose pillow mask and can't determine whether the Small or the Xsmall nose piece fits better (neither could the respiratory tech who fitted and instructed me:shock:).

And this morning, after nearly 11 hours of "sleep", I still feel quite sleepy, a bit headachey, foggy-brained, goopy-eyed, and "off". I'm thinking seriously about going back for a nap though I've only been up for 2.5 hours!

My Tech told me they 'place' about 30-40 of these units a MONTH!! In a town and surrounding area of about 100,000 people, wow!

My OSA is "severe" -- I was so shocked! -- and I am eternally grateful my pediatrician DD insisted, (vociferously, persistently) that I be checked out. Her education has already been worth it to us as she has surely saved my life. The doc said I've had this for a long time; and here I thought I was just getting old, achy, forgetful, fat, and overwhelmed!! ALL these things may well be helped by use of the CPAP machine, amazing! I'm going to be a new person soon....new hips, new sleep, better brain, less pain....look out world, LOL!

So, I'm wondering how many quilters, who are often (but not always!!) over 50, "fluffy", and creative (as in 'sensitive' to what's around them), are also victims of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Please share with us.

Jan in VA
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Call me

Rita
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Not only is it imperative you be diagnosed with sleep apnea, if you have it and do not use your machine it can lead to:

PULMONARY HYPERTENSION, A VERY SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEM. You don't want to go there.

Jan, the first few times I used my machine I thought this is really weird. You do get used to it and the sleep is wonderful.

Congrats on joining the "sleeping with masks" club.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Jan when I had my surgery last year. I didn't wake up for nearly 8 hours after it. They had told my DH I would be done with the surgery and recovery in about 2 1/2 hours. They finally had to give me a shot to wake me up. The RT guy told me while I was "out" he was watching me sleep and that I did indeed stop breathing on several occasions and he shook me to get me breathing again. He suggested that I go for the sleep apnea test but I haven't done so as yet. My DD had it done last month as a pre-op test. She is scheduled for surgery on Sept 23 for a deviated septum in her nose. DR told her she might have to get the CPAP machine after this surgery if her breathing doesn't improve. She has had asthma since birth and it now 38 years old. I hope the surgery helps her. I hope you are feeling better soon. Take care...crafty_linda_b
Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I have 'critical' sleep apnea and sleep with a machine each night. I would call your Tech, you should not feel this way.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Jan when I had my surgery last year. I didn't wake up for nearly 8 hours after it. They had told my DH I would be done with the surgery and recovery in about 2 1/2 hours. They finally had to give me a shot to wake me up. The RT guy told me while I was "out" he was watching me sleep and that I did indeed stop breathing on several occasions and he shook me to get me breathing again. He suggested that I go for the sleep apnea test but I haven't done so as yet. My DD had it done last month as a pre-op test. She is scheduled for surgery on Sept 23 for a deviated septum in her nose. DR told her she might have to get the CPAP machine after this surgery if her breathing doesn't improve. She has had asthma since birth and it now 38 years old. I hope the surgery helps her. I hope you are feeling better soon. Take care...crafty_linda_b
Please stop ignoring the good advice you got, and get checked. Having undiagnosed sleep apnea puts a strain on your heart and can lead to long term health problems and your early demise.

Yes, I have sleep apnea, diagnosed in 2004 - I sleep with a full face mask, as a nose one just didn't suit me. I slept with my mouth open instead! Yes, it didn't instantly make me feel better, but within a week or two, I was convinced, so please persevere.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Two of my sons use a CPAP and a BPAP. They go annually for testing to make sure a. they are getting enough oxygen b. Are they on the right machine. One machine pumps air into your chest and if you wake up with your chest feeling tight, you need to have it checked. The other machine allows you to breathe naturally but if you miss a breathe it responds with air and stirs you to breathe again. This is what my son says. He would have died with out this machine after his heart surgery. Take care and soon you will be sleeping like a baby.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

I may have a few of 'those' symptoms, (50-ish, fluffy, somewhat big butt belly boobs for my short height) but I do not have a sleeping disorder. Mine all came during menopause and after hysterectomy/oopherectomy. Pain in hips, got the steroid shots and a new quilt-top mattress and no pain! Stretch my back constantly and no pain! Vitamin D-3, B12, Calcium, added magnesium and flaxseed oil a wk ago, and I feel a zillion times better. Just adding the 2000 mg D-3 after being tested really low made a huge difference in the achy-ness. Sleep with elevated head on 2 pillows and take Advair (stopped albuterol completely) for asthma and my husband says I no longer snore during allergy season. And thank goodness he never has. Good luck with your machine. I know too many people on those things, and I feel for all of you as I don't think I could sleep through the sound of it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 AM

I just have the canal with positive flow I feel it if I pull it off in my sleep I will wake groggy. Good luck with the cpap
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM

I begged MrG for years to get a test. He sleeps with a full mask and has never been so well rested. Ask the doctor or the people who supply the machine. Do not suffer silently or you will get discouraged and not use it. YOU NEED IT.