Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of getting a new machine.  Can you recommend mid to upper mid level sewing machines?? >

Thinking of getting a new machine. Can you recommend mid to upper mid level sewing machines??

Thinking of getting a new machine. Can you recommend mid to upper mid level sewing machines??

Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 AM

I recently started quilting (well, I have done piecing so far making 6 different quilt tops) and at first wasn't sure I would like it or be any good at it. But, I am really enjoying it and have had some pretty good successes.

I am using a fairly basic model sewing machine (Janome 6019QC) I purchased about 7 years ago for basic sewing. I was considering getting an extension table for my machine but the ladies at the LQS asked if I was sure I was going to be keeping my machine for a few years. I really would like something better.

Can you recommend some mid to upper mid level machines that I should research? The LQS suggested a Baby Lock Elizabeth or Janome 4120 or 2160. I can't find prices on any of these on the net so I have no cost reference. I am thinking around $600 or so. Is that enough?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM

llwinston44 has an elizabeth just pm her and ask how much hers was
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM

The Brother 1500 is only $599 at Allbrands.com. Free shipping in the USA. It has a 9 inch throat, you will want that.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:46 PM

What features/capabilities are you looking for? What's your budget?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I would like a machine that is good for piecing and possibly doing some FMQ. I am still new to quilting so I don't yet have a grasp on the features I should be looking for. I am thinking budget wise between $600 to $800.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 PM

I highly recommend Janome machines. But I have friends who are just as sold on their Pfaff or Bernina. Janome makes a wide range and I'd suggest you go to the dealer and look at the variety available. With that budget you shouldn't have too much trouble. You might also talk to other quilters--or personnel at a quilt shop--to learn about various features. I suggest a good quarter inch foot and a walking foot. I also suggest that you insist on a needle down option. And finally, I would look on the web for reviews from other buyers before purchasing.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM

There is a site called PatternReview that also has reviews of sewing machines and sergers. It's free to register and there's lots of information on it.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I've used PatternReview.com extensively to research and choose machines. Berninas are my favorite, well worth the money, but the modern models are all more than $800. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus, which has been discontinued, so you *might* be able to find one for $800. It has SO much: built-in dual feed, 9" throat, hundreds of stitches, included extension table, included straight stitch plate, thread stand for two fairly large spools, comes with 15 feet... Mine sews like a dream and has been easy to learn and use and trouble-free. The Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro is similar, but costs more, since it's a current model. I've heard that the Singer L500, from HSN, is similar, and it's often around $800, but I haven't seen or sewn on one personally. If you only need a straight-stitch, then Juki, Janome/Elna, and Brother/Baby Lock all have good 9" harp models. Good luck!