Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone help please - machine embroidery >

Can anyone help please - machine embroidery

Can anyone help please - machine embroidery

Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM

You need to "save" your PES files on your computer as you can't open them without the appropriate software. You can then download them to your memory stick and your machine will open them. Embroidery Library has instructions you can follow to download. Good luck.
N
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
To open the file on your computer you would need a program installed that would open that format - like you need a word program to open documents , excel for spread sheets . Does that make sense ? So without a program to open PES files I don't think you can open them - doesn't mean its not there just that you can't open it to see them :wink:
I'm not a great computer person, but this is confusing about having a program to open. I have a Brother that has a USB port and came with a cord. I download the PES embroidery picture to my computer on desktop (it shows up as Zip file). Then I copy from file (not folder) to disc F (it is temporary file). then it automatically sends it to my machine. I had someone walk me through it first time. Maybe if you have a local dealer you can stop by and have them show you how to do it. Our local Baby lock dealer services all machines and he helped me out on my Brother.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:05 PM

To open the design on the computer after downloading you need a software program. The easiest one to use is Embird.(other folks may be able to suggest other programs) Be sure to make a back up of all your design downloads as both a USB stick and computer hard drive can crash, best to save copy to a CD. Most designs are sent zipped, so a program to unzip is also needed - there is a free one online - google search will show up many. I also save all my purchased designs in a folder called (get this) Purchased Embroidery and free designs (now guess the name) Free designs. Unzip and then save to USB and copy to CD's.
Good luck and enjoy your machine.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM

LadyCougar that is a beautiful quilt and will be loved I am sure.
Have been visiting lots of the suggested sites and am looking to get an unzip programme. However my DH has just come home with a new Laptop that may be taking the place of this computer, so will put off downloading programmes, (not designs LOL) until he has made his mind up which we are using, we seem to have lost our wireless internet so need to sort that out. Luckily we are still connected by cable. I do NOT understand all this modern computer lark.
Sue
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 AM

When you download the embroidery pattern from the website, after choosing your PES file, most of the sites I've bought from offer you the choice of having the files sent to your computer as a zipped or unzipped file; or you can download them yourself, zipped or unzipped.

Make yourself a file on your computer (I use my desktop with a file entitled, "Embroidery Patterns" and then have subfolders in that file that generalize the categories: flowers, animals, baby, scenery, Christmas, music, whatever you want) and that's where you send your files, to that desktop file, anyway.

The mistake I kept making when I started embroidering was to try to open the patterns from that file. I have since learned that I can only open the patterns once I'm in my embroidery settings, ready to sew. So if your machine is like mine as far as software goes, you'll need to get your sewing machine set up, load up your software and make sure it's ready to work, and THEN you can go find your pattern on your desktop, click on the pattern you want to use, and it should appear on your screen.

It sounds like you also have to put your patterns on a thumb drive to plug into your machine (Mine attaches via the computer to the sewing machine) so if that's the case, once you've downloaded your patterns to the desktop, right-click on that "Embroidery Patterns" file, then either "copy" the patterns and paste them on the thumb drive, or hit "Send to" and click on the thumb drive that should show up as being available to have something sent to it.

I hope you get the bugs out! I love embrodering on my machine (if you consider sitting and watching the machine do all the work as you doing embroidery!) It's an amazing thing!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 AM

I love to read & I use to joke with family that I was waiting on a machine that will sew while I could read well with the embroidery machine I can but the jokes on me because I sit and watch it sew. I just can't help myself.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by fluffynan
Looks like a memory stick is my next purchase. Sorry to be dense, but could you explain exactly what to expect when downloading onto your computer. I downloaded a couple of designs from the Embroidery Library, and checked that they were PES format. When I pressed for download I got a quick "flash" and that was it. It did show on my computer, but I was not able to open the file at all. Maybe I'll have better luck with a memory stick and just dowloading it straight to that. Will let you know how I get on. Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but I don't appear to have grasped the intracacies (sp) of modern computing - never mind, as someone, not sure who, said, " we should learn something new everyday".
Sue
Know where you're coming from. I got a stick too. I also have a black box. However, my machines are older models without the ports. Our ASG chapter has started an embroidery club so we can learn to use them. I am just now learning what you've been talking about.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Have you used Designs by Cuties. This site contains thousand of embroidery designs and they are all free. You are able to download designs extensions that your machine applicable for your machine.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Have you used Designs by Cuties. This site contains thousand of embroidery designs and they are all free. You are able to download designs extensions that applicable for your machine.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by davis2se
When I bought my Janome 110000 the sales lady told me about a web site (Wilcom.com) and said that I could download the software for free that would recognize the special machine formatting of embroidery files (mine is JEF). I've never been able to get it to work for me, but perhaps someone who is more technically savvy than I could make it work.
When you open a file in Wilcom it might say that your file is not an EMB file and might have limitations. Just press o.k. and it should come up. I have that with any PES files, but it works, when I ignore.