Favorite Breed

Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Aren't poodles supposed to be one of the animals that don't cause as many allergies?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM

My favorite breed is a German Shepherd, but I like mutts too. We have had several GS and all were the sweetest dogs. I think that dogs take on the personality and attutude of the owners. We inherited one of our grands dogs when her mother moved in an apartment. She is part Chow and ????, Stacie (DGD) had trained her some. They got her from a shelter and think she was abused before. She adores my husband and is so sweet, was excellent with the newest grands. She is getting old now and I am not sure what we will get next. Actually we are all getting old.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM

I had a black Pug who had to be put to sleep just before his 15 th birthday and I still get weepy just thinking of my "Max.". It was like he was attached at the hip on me and was the most loving little dog, so I have to say that Pugs are definitely my favorite. Such a loving dog. Thanks for asking such a sweet question and for all of the wonderful answers. It's nice to know what others think, isn't it?

Lucille
Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM

My favorite now is Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I have two....one an 8 yr old blenheim male and a 3 yr old black and tan male, although before I got my first Cav, I had a German Shepherd rescue male, who was totally wonderful...after losing him tried two more Shepherds and neither one was the same as Doc....so as said previously guess it is the current one...but the Cavs are wonderful and can go and do things that Doc could not....
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

PTQUILTS,
We had 2 rescued grayhounds. All they want is love and to be by your side.They give love also.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM

We have had 3 Newfie's, 1 Bernese, and 4 Keeshonds. All but 2 of the Kees are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for us. We loved the Newfies & Berner, but their lifespan is so short that we couldn't take the emotional pain of losing them so soon. All of our Kees have been rescues (1 Newf & Berner too). The Kees are great. Smart, funny, snuggly and shed. I have had some of their fur spun and knitted slippers from it. I am blessed to work very part time as a receptionist for a groomer so I get to see all kinds of dogs. I love it when my favorite breeds come in. I believe we all could learn from our dogs how to love everyone unconditionally, As our Heavenly Father loves us. I might get a Pomeranian someday but for now I'd adopt more Kees.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM

We have had a toy poodle whose mother wouldn't nurse her and was going to die (we had to hand-feed her), one toy poodle with epilepsy, one (mostly) border collie who was abandoned in our neighborhood, (all of whom lived long lives but have now passed, and we now are being ruled by a (mostly) Gordon Setter who again was abandoned in our neighborhood. Sweet as she can be, doesn't bark at all, but sheds like the dickens. I have to keep a sticky roller in every room and brush her every day. Black hair everywhere. But we love her dearly.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wolflady
PTQUILTS,
We had 2 rescued grayhounds. All they want is love and to be by your side.They give love also.
We considered adopting a greyhound once. Even got as far as getting the paper work and looking it over. Met with a couple at the Shewsberry Faire who were there from the greyhound rescue. While we were talking we asked how well they got along with other dogs, and they said perfect. That they were even tempered and usally got along with other pets. They asked what kind of pets we had, we mentioned Valentine our mini Doxie, they told us we might want to reconsider. Apparently many of their rescuses were from the greyhound race track somewhere, I think Portland. The small dog may trigger an instinct that has been bred into the racer. We did reconsider. They are such beautiful dogs though.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM

I have one mutt-kelpie cross and one pure bred lab-I love any cross with a shepard mix-good temperament and protective.
My best dogs were a dobie/shepard cross and a rottie/ shepard cross-both were love bugs and loved kids. Very protective.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM

My favorite breed is a mutt, too. Preferably one from a shelter who REALLY needs a home. Both of mine qualify. :)