Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt? >

What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt?

What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM

I have a KS one I started but haven't sewen together yet. I experimented with QAYG on one block and I think I'll do that. I just did SITD on the bigger squares and a decorative stitch around the center. Since it's too big the try to quilt on my Brother and have it LAQ is too expensive I think this will work out OK.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I just finished all the blocks for the 10 minute block. I think I will do a QAYG but I'm still not sure how I will quilt it!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM

I am the worlds worst for quilting ideas...as I was looking at the u-tube video it looks like she used feathers, feathered circles...it really depends on what look you're going for...sorry I couldn't be of more help...post it when you are finished..would love to see what you decide to do...
Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I have a KS one I started but haven't sewen together yet. I experimented with QAYG on one block and I think I'll do that. I just did SITD on the bigger squares and a decorative stitch around the center. Since it's too big the try to quilt on my Brother and have it LAQ is too expensive I think this will work out OK.
HOW DID YOU QAYG.... I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING MINE THAT WAY BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW.... COULD YOU EXPLAIN OR SHOW
THANKS
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by craftymama86
I understand that, I sometimes have a problem with pictures too. I'm still trying to figure out how to quilt the blanket once I have all the squares together.... I guess I'll have to improvise once I get there....
I will be making one soon. I planned to use the walking foot to echo quilt around the center piece, then use it to sew the edges that I will roll to the front. Clear as mud, right?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Stitch in straight lines a half inch inside the seams - around the inside of each of the four pieces of fabric the block is made of. You can use tape as a guide, and this avoids sewing the extra thickness of any of the seams.
Works for both hand sewing and machine sewing.

It is a simple easy echo quilting.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM

My next project will be a "10 minute block" quilt and I need to know an easy, simple, etc. way of quilting one. I've just started out on quilting so no free motion just yet, lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did mine as a QAYG. I'll try to get a pic. tomorrow. Too late for pic. taking right now. It was my first attempt at QAYG.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
My next project will be a "10 minute block" quilt and I need to know an easy, simple, etc. way of quilting one. I've just started out on quilting so no free motion just yet, lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did mine as a QAYG. I'll try to get a pic. tomorrow. Too late for pic. taking right now. It was my first attempt at QAYG.
A pic of your QAYG would be great. I can't seem to rap my head around piecing this as a QAYG though.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by sammie
HOW DID YOU QAYG.... I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING MINE THAT WAY BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW.... COULD YOU EXPLAIN OR SHOW
THANKS
After I sewed the squares together then I cut the batting the same size as the block and the backing 1" larger all the way around. I just did a SITD on the squares and a decorative stitch in the center. It's hard to see in the picture but there is a dark brown backing that's about an inch larger than the block. You can just barely see the decorative stitching around the center. It's not all the way around as this was just a test piece.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265653.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by sammie
THANKS
After I sewed the squares together then I cut the batting the same size as the block and the backing 1" larger all the way around. I just did a SITD on the squares and a decorative stitch in the center. It's hard to see in the picture but there is a dark brown backing that's about an inch larger than the block. You can just barely see the decorative stitching around the center. It's not all the way around as this was just a test piece.
I think I get it. You'll sew the backings together in rows, then the columns, fold over the "extra" backing on the front so it looks like sashing. Will you hand or machine sew the front sashing?

Thanks for your post! The picture really helps.