Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger? >

serger?

serger?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I bought the Babylock Imagine in August and I haven't stopped using it since. I made several clothes for my GD and now I am making placemats and napkins for Christmas gifts. Some are quilted and edged with the serger, some are machine embroidered and edged with the serger and some are just reversible and edged with the serger. I love the edging the serger does so much more than the binding that I had to do before I bought the serger. It looks so much more professional. Having the serger to sew clothes with cut the sewing time by about 3/4! I'm also making some silk scarves for the young women on my gift list. Very simple. 2 yds of silk for $30 will make 3 scarves and I can put a rolled hem on them in minutes. Very pretty and inexpensive gifts and so much easier than using my rolled hem attachment on my sewing machine. I had heard remarkable things about what the differential feed would do on the serger and now I can say that it is all true. I wouldn't want to try to sew anything at all with out doing all I could on the serger. It's like the difference between cleaning your carpet with a broom or a vacuum! If you've always used a broom then you don't understand the difference a vacuum will make. The same is true about sewing with a good serger.
Yes, the silk scarves are beautiful and look so professional! This year I am making cosmetic bags for Christmas gifts. All you need is some pre-quilted material (I make my own), a zipper, and about 15 minutes time from start to finish! I plan to put a gift card in each bag for Christmas.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM

I have had 3 different brands.Baby Lock is my current one (I've had it 6 years) and it is by far the best I have used.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 AM

I've had a Babylock for 25 years and it's been a super workhorse. Easy to thread, color threading guide right on the machine. Love it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
I love love love the 936 Viking. Easy to thread, has the coverstitch capability and is very east to use.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 AM

Love my Babylock, use it primarily for "dressmaking" for those finished seams. Invaluable for interlocks, and do use for rolled seams for napkins and quickie tablerunners. In my ignorance, used for the first "pattern" quilt I ever made, a double Irish Chain for a niece who just turned 18. That quilt was also "tucked and turned" and had ties. Just had to repiece it a year ago. Now has machine quilting.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by khurtdvm
I'm a garment sewer who also quilts, and I LOVE my serger. But the only quilting thing I've used it for is serging my fabric ends before prewashing. Otherwise, it's great for sewing knits and for finishing seams.

I have a Necchi, and it's been working great for me since I bought it six years ago. If possible, get a serger from a local fabric store which teaches classes on how to use it. I bought mine following an intro to serging class. I haven't used half the stuff I learned, but it was great to get the exposure.
I have a teacher that also serges her quilts when she's done and they are waiting to be quilted. This lets her know at a glance that it's ready for quilting; which she does but can't always get around to until later on.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Babylock has sergers that are very easy to thread - I have the Imagine and love it!
I also have a Babylock, but the Imagine. It is an AWESOME machine. It's a little pricey but it's well worth the price. So easy to use, great instructional book and cheat sheet.

Now, instead of having only white thread because I cringed when I broke the thread on my old serger and had to re-thread, I change colors in a minute....such a nice machine !!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 AM

How are you planning to use it? Do you want a 3 or 4 thread machine? Do you want to have a rolled serged hem edge capability? How much can you spend? Do you have a good dealer locally? Sometimes they have some great deals on used machines. Are lessons available? Make sure you get an instruction book to go with it.
A hint on rethreading: tie your new thread color to the old on each spool, change the tension to zero, pull the new threads thru, you might have to actually thread the needle as that knot might not go thru the needle, then put your tension right back to where it was, then your ready to serge. The small amount of thread wasted is teenzy compared to the time it takes to rethread the whole thing. This of course if you don't have one of those snazzy new ones that shoot the thread thru with ar.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 AM

I have a Babylock Imagine and love it. It treads so easily threads can be changed very quickly unlike my first serger that took so much time to get threaded properly that you were almost out of the notion to sew by the time you got it "ready"
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 AM

I have a Babylock Imagine got it last November and I love it . And these week I went and bought the Babylock Evolution it is the best Serger ever. It does all the stitches very quite and turns curves so easy. I love both of these I'm keeping both of them. Go to you tube and look at the video's and Nancy Zieman has a video with Margret Tully that is get. Good luck