Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger? >

serger?

serger?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM

MIne is a Janome 2040. A serger is for pretty specific things IMO. Been sewing taffeta victorian skirts had to serge all the seams to prevent fraying. My Sapphire doesn't overcast well. Have made knit baby blankets, tablecloths and napkins. Serging gives a nice professional edged seam. Got one lower looper that is a bear to thread. I will tell you everything from how your thread cones are placed to the threading has to be done 100% right to work. Never misplace you book!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by frarose
I have a Babylock self threader and I LOVE it.
Oh lordy lord yes indeed! I have had several sergers...high end, low end old and new and I will tell you the one thing that can frustrate me to no end is threading the loopers. At some point you just have to do this and when I saw how the Babylock is self threading on Sewing With Nancy I knew that I had to had have that machine. I traded a Bernina 1300 for mine. Threading is no longer a dreaded pain in the you know where. If you buy a serger get the self threading kind for sure.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 AM

Pat P, you are so right on the book, I just got a new one called Evolved and is self threading, I love it. My pillow cases I give to charity goes so much faster. the fishing on clothes are great.

Cookie
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Almost all commercial sewing is done on a serger or at least most of it. While I don't garment sew all that much anymore I use it to make my Linus quilts. I make them pillowcase style and sue the serger to do the initial joining of the two layer and the batting. I then turn it right side out, press it and machine quilt it. I have recently started making the little dresses that are sent to the Carribean to cover the little girls to help keep them safe. I serge all of the raw edges of the material I use on the dresses. It gives them a professional look that makes the children think they are "store" bought just like the "rich" girls. This is my second serger. I had a basic Bernina one for about twenty years. I used it a lot making garments and crafts for my daughter and grandaughters including the dresses for my daughter's wedding. Last year I traded up to a little more efficient one that was much easier to thread. It gets used as often as my sewing machine.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM

I have a babylock protege' 4 thread for 275.00 plus shipping pm me if interested
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by winia
What do you use your serger for? I have one and would
love to use it other than every now and then, but I don't
know what to use it for that I can't use a regular sewing
machine to make.
I use serger for napkins, tablecloths and recently made some pillows for my daughter's couch with ravelly material and used the serger for all the seams. It sews so fast!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Babylock Imagine I have one and it is awesome serger
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I have a Brother 1034D serger that runs at least once a week for something or other - sometimes every day.

It's so easy to thread, I can almost do it with my eyes closed.

It has a differential feed for shirring or sewing knits, a rolled hem that takes two seconds to set up and is adjustable for a wide range of effects.

I trim my quilts before I apply borders or bindings. I made a 60" snowball quilt entirely on the serger for a new grandbaby. I finish the inside seams on doll clothes, pillowcases, all apparel.

I paid around $200 for it and it's more than earned its keep in the last few years.

Before I got a serger, I used to think it was silly to have this extra appliance - what would I ever use one for when I had so many good sewing machines which do everything?

But sergers are amazing - I wouldn't want to be without one, again.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

I have the same questions. Other then hemming pants what would you use a serger for and also ...what is a good price for one?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Love my Babylock Imagine. So easy to thread!