Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Call me crazy if you will. . . . .. >

Call me crazy if you will. . . . ..

Call me crazy if you will. . . . ..

Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM

As most of you know, I lost my shepherd Zeuss just about a month ago http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-149797-1.htm and then adopted a kitten that I am sure Zeuss sent my way http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152610-1.htm

Well, on Thursday of this past week, my other half and myself were heading on a short road trip to a LQS that I wanted to visit (about 45 mins away) As we are "window shoppers" of most animal shelters, we decided to stop in at the local humane shelter. We browsed the kitties and the small dogs and then went into the big dog room. I managed to make it past all of the kennels and talked to all the dogs waiting for adoption. My other half though got stopped 2 kennels in. In that kennel was a red and black shepherd, 4 years old and severely underweight and it had the most hopeful eyes. His tail never stopped wagging the entire time we stood in front of his cage, talking to the shelter staff member. He had been brought in on 9/21 as a stray. He was extremely friendly but very, very skinny. I squatted down to get a good look at him (the vet tech student that I am!) and he looked into my eyes and I think I knew then that he needed to come home with us. We talked with the employee for a little while longer and then decided that we would do an interaction with the shepherd. We took him outside on a leash and he was extremely well behaved and walked right beside me. We decided that we would come back on Friday and bring our other 2 dogs for a "meet and greet". We continued on to the LQS but couldn't stop thinking and talking about that dog. We decided that we wanted to get the dog! We called and told the shelter we were going home to get our dogs and would be back for the interaction. Just after we got home, we received a phone call from the shelter. They had done a heart worm test and it was a "low positive". We were crushed! We called our vet to find out exactly what that meant and were told that he definately would be treatable and but we were stunned to find out that the one and only medication for treating heart worms in dogs in on "INDEFINATE BACK ORDER!" My heart was breaking for this poor dog, he had soooo much to give and I just felt he deserved a chance. We called several vets in our fairly large town and finally found one with the medication. Our hearts sang!! We knew that this could be a costly endeavor but we knew we had to help this dog. We both gave up our birthday gifts for this year and I am giving up my fabric allowance for the rest of the year. We called the shelter back and let them know that we would still be adopting the dog and were on our way with our animals. The shelter was over joyed as not many heartworm positive animals are adopted. Well needless to say, the inter action went well, and the dog came home with us. We have named him Cooper and he is fitting right in. It wasn't until later that evening that we realized that Thursday had an extra special meaning: IT WAS ZUESS' BIRTHDAY. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be!!

You can really see his ribs in this picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265000[/ATTACH]

He's about 20 lbs underweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265001[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264947.jpe   attachment-264948.jpe   attachment-264949.jpe  
Old 10-01-2011, 04:38 PM

awww bless your heart for taking that adorable guy in! He's incredible, and I know with all your love and care that he'll be just fine with you.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM

oh, how wonderful you are!!!!!God Bless You!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 PM

He had to have been someone's pet as he is housebroken and wears a collar well and walks on a leash. He has a some food aggression but I think that will calm down after he realizes he is going to be fed on a regular basis. He is so sweet and gentle, loves to be petted and cuddled and plays well with the other dogs. I just had to give him a chance. If it doesn't work out for him, at least he had it good for a while!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM

What a heart warming story! Zeuss is looking after you!Sorry For your loss of him! This guy Cooper is one lucky dog! He knew you and your husband were meant to have him! He surely wanted you!! You giving up your fabric stash was well worth this guy in need!
Hope Cooper is on the road to a healthy recovery! He's really cute!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM

He's really beautiful. You were meant for him.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
QKO

Poor little guy. Thank you so much for making the sacrifices involved in taking him in. You'll have him healthy in no time, and he'll be eternally grateful! A big thumbsup to you!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM

He's gorgeous!

We found out a couple months ago that our beagle has heartworms. Heartworms are so rare in this area that the shelter that we got her from never tested her. We find out if it's treatable next week. She's been on the heartworm preventative since July. We're parying that what is left is not too bad.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewlisa
He's gorgeous!

We found out a couple months ago that our beagle has heartworms. Heartworms are so rare in this area that the shelter that we got her from never tested her. We find out if it's treatable next week. She's been on the heartworm preventative since July. We're parying that what is left is not too bad.
Oh, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your beagle! I hope the vet that you take her to has the medication to treat her!!! I just can't believe that this medication that is sooo important could be on indefinate backorder! We take Cooper on Monday to start his treatment. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

How wonderful of you