Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
White Treadle machine >

White Treadle machine

White Treadle machine

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM

I was reading through the topics earlier and saw one asking what you would give for a Singer Treadle machine. I came across a White treadle machine yesterday and it keeps calling my name but I really know nothing about them. I've never seen one up close before yesterday, it's dusty but looks to be in good shape but again how would I know. The friend of mine said it was her grandmother's machine and she has never even had it opened up since she's had it until I looked at it yesterday. She really wants to get rid of it soon as she is moving and does not intend to take it with her. I guess I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me if I would be able to get a belt for it or bobbins or if you thought it would just be something pretty to look at in my studio.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM

White machines are much more rare than the common Singers but they were also a fairly popular brand. I would take it if it were available to me for sure. I'm fairly sure you would be able to get a belt for it... bobbins, I don't know. Are there any with it?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM

there may be a couple of bobbins...I was afraid to keep looking at it as I really wanted it but don't want to take it just to be a dust collector. The cabinet is really beautiful too.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM

You can get belts quite easily. You'll love it especially if you loose power from a storm and most sew straighter than a newer one too. If its in your price range go for it, get a belt and some oil and enjoy!

It will probably need oil since it sounds like it has set a while.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM

I would take a chance on it! I just did a quick search and found this site where you can get both belts and bobbins for White treadle. The belts are quite far down the page.

http://whitesewingcenter.com/page2.php
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Do not pas GO. GO directly to this sewing machine! Sounds lovely--in good shape with nice cabinet. The problem will not be that it collects dust; the problem will be that you will want another. And another.

So if the price i right (and if it is free then the price is right), bring it home. If you should change your mind at a later date, you can always regift it to another quilter!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM

I have one - I love it! If you need a manual it's easy to get - Singer has all the old White ones on their website. That's how I got mine. My cabinet looked really bad on the top but cleaned right up with Pledge Refinishing Oil - I didn't even need to refinish the cabinet. Belts are easy to replace and I didn't have a problem getting bobbins. All I need to do now is work on my foot work! If its calling your name - it must be the one for you!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM

The value in the machine to me would be that you know the history of it!

Get the machine...parts are easy! :)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

A lot of people like the White treadle machines. See this website: http://www.treadleon.net/

It's easy to order a treadle belt on the internet, and bobbins are available for just about every machine.

If you go look at the machine, make sure the bobbin case is there.