Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL98Q >

Juki TL98Q

Juki TL98Q

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Help!!! I'm still getting comfortable with my new Juki but it's so fast and I'm so slow! Any pointers will be greatly welcome. Can anyone explain the needle threader to me (better than the picture in the manual!)? Any suggestions on setting the tension (upper thread) - I'm really spoiled with my computerized machine and auto-tension? I've decided that it will probably be best if I take the Juki off the Grace frame and put it on a table and sit down with it and try to make friends; or at least get it running slowly enough so that I can keep up. I'm really anxious to start free-motion quilting but have accepted that I need to back up and start from an earlier beginning! Thanks in advance - I know all you great quilters will come to my aid :D
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM

I absolutely love mine. I piece on it as well as use it on the frame. On the frame, I have a stitch regulator which helps me alot!

The tension was the hardest thing for me to adjust. I finally got it right, and I can't tell you how- I just continued to mess with it.

My needle threader worked for a while, and doesn't work well now, so I don't use it, it also took a while to figure out.

Once you make friends, you may never go back. Her stitches are sooo pretty.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

i think taking it off the frame temporarily is a good idea. i have a threader on my brother embroidery machine, my brother dsm, and on the juki. the juki threader is the only one i find hard to use. if you don't have the right angle, it doesn't work. but mine is on the frame and i have a large eye needle, so threading manually is easier. other than that, i absolutely love my juki. if i get a bigger machine for the frame, the juki will become my go to piecer. sorry you're having trouble.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 PM

I have this machine and think it's great for free motion quilting. I enjoy quilting with this machine.
That being said, I don't like the needle threader. You have to get the hook through the needle first and then somehow get the thread under the "guide" on the left side and then gently release the hook while gently holding the thread. When the hook pulls the thread through the eye of the needle, let go of the thread.
I have had the machine for 6 years and still have difficulty using the needle threader.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM

wish I had one...got the grace 2 frame at a resale shop but need the machine...even have the cruise control for that machine...but no machine...let me know if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Happy stitching.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Thank you, everybody, for your information and help with my Juki. Tomorrow it (maybe 'he' cause he's so contrary to get along with!) comes off the Grace and onto the table. I'll skip the threader and stick to mastering the speed and the tension! I'll let you know how it goes.