Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Should I worry about this email scam? >

Should I worry about this email scam?

Should I worry about this email scam?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM

I have had a yahoo account hacked. Do try to contact him. Also contact the police. Our local police track ploys like this.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM

Well just spoke to someone computer savvy. This is a scam. He gave me several tips. Never open an Email that ends
in .exe. Those can just infest your computer in an instant.

Then because this is such a large site, and newly affiliated with a corporate Co. We must be super cautious.
We have to rely on the moderators and the overseers of us.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
I did start a new email and Whoa this is weird! I just sent him and email to explain what happened and this was the reply......

Oh no...l know this sounds weird and you wouldn't believe me...Yes, am really stuck out and it's so devastating at the moment i really need your help l wish l could cal but l don't have access to phone at the moment , I really need your help to get myself out of this mess. The hotel management has been kind to let have an access to a library to get across to anybody to help me since my luggage was also taken away.Hope to hear from you soon.....I don't really have much time i'm in a Local Library right now please get me out of here.
DO NOT REPLY TO THEM!!!!
SEND IT TO YOUR SPAM FILE.... NOTIFY YOUR FRIEND TO CHANGE ALL THE PASSWORDS AND YOU TOO!
i GOT THIS VERY SAME MESSAGE.... IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SPAM FOLDER IN YOUR E-MAIL ACCOUNT, YOU NEED TO GET ONE...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Stay away from genealogy websites. They are well-known for scammers.
Don't want to scare you but I hope you did not give too much information
to your "friend" way back when.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM

I got a phone call telling me it was my Brother's step son in Belgemn or somewhere overseas needing money to pay a hospital bill for an accident he was in and didn't want his parents to know about. Kid has never been out of his STATE much less COUNTRY!!! I simply said I couldn't do it and he hung up. Sure did sound like the boy though even though I know it wasn't.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM

BEFORE YOU delete all his emails you should forward all of them to this address:

[email protected]

and in the forwarded letter explain who this email belongs to and why you feel this is a fraud attempt to get money from you.

This is a government website that does nothing but look for these types of scammers. They have ways of searching them out and busting them wide open but they need the original emails to do so. I send them every email like this to them because I know that they are on top of this sort of thing. They can't find these people if we don't all support their efforts by sending them the ones we get. For every email like this we send them the faster they can locate who is doing it and stop them.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM

If you don't have his phone or address check one of the online phone books and see if you can find a phone number or address. Then call or write him to see if he is OK. It definitely sounds like a scam and I would be very cautious about sending him emails until you find out for sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM

I received the same email several times, supposedly from some of my friends! They were in another country, got robbed, etc., etc. I call them and they are at home, never left the country...so both emails were hacked...I just deleted it and let her know. Don't want to change my email addy because it is on my business cards. It has happened twice in the last few years. I ran a full scan with my Trend Micro afterwards and never had a problem.
Michelle
Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM

This kind of thing must be happening all over. I just received a notice in my college email about a scam being sent to students that have facebook. I guess we have to be cautious about everything.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
BEFORE YOU delete all his emails you should forward all of them to this address:

[email protected]

and in the forwarded letter explain who this email belongs to and why you feel this is a fraud attempt to get money from you.

This is a government website that does nothing but look for these types of scammers. They have ways of searching them out and busting them wide open but they need the original emails to do so. I send them every email like this to them because I know that they are on top of this sort of thing. They can't find these people if we don't all support their efforts by sending them the ones we get. For every email like this we send them the faster they can locate who is doing it and stop them.
Thanks for the info.