Still rather shocked

Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I can understand why the unethical woman isn't working! If she had an employer I would inform them of the call.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband.
i would certainly call her former employer, assuming they are the company you called about the information you wanted....if she called you then she is calling other clients and who knows of an older woman, less schooled in the art of saying 'no' might be taken advantage of.... she is clearly using information gained from her former employer and they should be told so they can protect their other clients.... please...do just make one call to help the other possible victims....
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM

After my fil died, my mil was approached by someone who said her husband had been kind enough to lend him money every once in awhile, and could she do the same? She turned him down flat.[/quote]
----------------------------------
Same thing here. After my DH died, a casual friend of his came by and wanted "his tools back DH had borrowed". Just his luck that I knew DH didn't believe in borrowing OR lending, he'd rather have bought it, rented it or gone without. So the friend didn't get any of DH's expensive tools, only our kids. And the neighbor's dog (usually a darling ) that I was keeping for the weekend hated the guy on sight. Grandma always told me to watch people good natured dogs hated....not to trust them.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Only one thing I can think of that would make any person this desperate and gutty (old timers' word) enough to do this: She must be on drugs (illegal ones).
-----------------------------
Yes, or a gambler. Both of those can blow through masses of money real fast!!

Sorry about your dear husband, I know how it is alone...you have to protect your kids and yourself. First thing...NEVER make any big changes during that first year as a widow, that's what my own DH told me over the years, and so did the lawyer.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Yea, Watch for her showing up on Judge Joe Brown show or Judge Judy, those people are being sued daily for taking advantage and then NOT paying people back, they end up in court and a whole mess, that is if you can ever find them again! And I laugh alot if home and see those TV shows at the people who think they don't owe the money back! So glad you won't do it.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
After my DH died, a casual friend of his came by and wanted "his tools back DH had borrowed". Just his luck that I knew DH didn't believe in borrowing OR lending
That person was NOT a friend. I can't imagine any DECENT man doing that to his friend's widow.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:48 AM

WOW is all i can say about such nerve :!: So sorry you lost your husband. People can be SO rude. I would have hung up on her
Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM

Maybe after you get over the shock, you could counsel other windows about scam artists.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 AM

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.
Second, how rude. I'd be in shock too.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 AM

This is great advice...hopefully they will stop her from taking advantage of someone else...hopefully she will have no contact with the elderly...hope she is not volunteering to help any of them just to turn around and take advantage of them. You may want to mention it at the senior centers and the meals on wheels org along with the group that drives them to the doctors. Help Keep our seniors safe.
Originally Posted by Hosta
sounds like a scam to me report her to the mortgage brokers board
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 AM

So sorry for your loss.

I'm really glad you had your wits about you to turn her down. I don't think she will call back, but now you know how to handle her and anyone else like her that comes asking to "borrow." Take care.