Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we get so attached to our sewing machines? >

Why do we get so attached to our sewing machines?

Why do we get so attached to our sewing machines?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM

I had my Singer sewing machine for thirty years and I never had any problems with it until it just could not be fixed it was wore out. I could not get rid of it, I had my daughter take it and get rid of it. I have never had another sewing machine as good as that one yet.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 AM

Don't you suppose that it's because being creative is therapeutic, in itself. While I sit and sew, I also think about other events in my life, sometimes present, sometimes past and those emotions are then transferred into our project. The sewing machine is the vehicle that enables that to happen. Men get attached to their vehicles for the same reasons. Our machine enable us to produce fun or beauty or silliness. We're intimate with it on an emotional scale.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM

I am attached to my Pfaff bought new in 1986. I think it is also because you know that machine so well, every sound, every detail. I dread when something happens to it. I do take care of it.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 AM

I think that I'm the weird one here... I am not only attached to my machines (all 5 of them) but I couldn't imagine life without some of my other non-sewing things. Example(s): Kitchen-aid mixer, crockpot, toaster/convection oven, laptop, Nook, android cell phone, Food Saver vacuum sealer (use this one EVERYDAY to re-seal cereal, potato chips etc) Keurig coffee maker....list goes on and on and on :-)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Our machines are our creative outlet and for me, my time on the couch. Over the years she has paid for many visits without me leaving the house. :D
Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I think it's because we use it to create something special. And for a lot of us it helps us keep our sanity. lol
I agree totally with this
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I think it's because we use it to create something special. And for a lot of us it helps us keep our sanity. lol
I agree! I talk to my machine. Do you?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 AM

Your sewing machine is yours and yours alone so of course you are attached. Everyone else uses all the other appliances also so you don't get attached. It is like I have a "love,hate" relationship with mine. Love it when things are going well and hate it when I mess up.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Mariposa
It's definitely a therapy thing!! The sewing machines help us to express our creativity, and de-stress. (at least for me!) :)
Oh yeah !!! and after a day of working with truck drivers (who think they know it all !!LOL), that wonderful sewing machine that will help me forget about the worries of the world and let me make something and be proud of it (even if the stitches are uneven LOL).
Hmmmm.. wonder if Dr. Freud would have a prognosis for that one ? LOL
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 AM

None of the other appliances in my house get the attention my sewing machines do, because I don't spend as much close up time with them. My sewing machines help me create beautiful things to use and display. I only hand sew when necessary. If I can do it on the machine, I will. I love all my sewing machines.