Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Default Quarter Inch Seam

I haven't made a whole lot of quilts, but I've made enough that I think I should have the whole quarter inch thing down, but apparently I don't. I have about 95% of the blocks done for a quilt and now realize that they aren't going to fit together just right. The prospect of so much ripping and resewing makes me sick. Why, oh why, can't my projects ever just fall into place? I feel like I try so hard to be accurate in my cutting and piecing and still I'm just not!! I so wanted to have these blocks done and then assemble them by hand piecing during our move. I have a month in between houses and now no hand work to tide me over...which will drive me crazy. I'm restless and dissatisfied if I don't have a hand project. I'm just so discouraged. On top of that, I just poured the last cup of coffee from the pot only to find it full of grounds. Poor, poor, pitiful me! Thanks for listening/reading my self-indulgent rant. Think I'll remember that I and my entire family are in good health, my hubby has a job and I don't even have to pack for this move, then kick myself in the butt and work on something else for awhile.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 AM

Oh yes, I feel your pain. Sometimes things just go in the dumper!! And you are right - your family is healthy... So things are ok.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Sometimes you can 'fudge' on joining blocks and they will be fine. If there is a little excess fabric, sew slowly with the bubble next to the feed dogs and this will take care of it. If you end up with a gathered spot, when you quilt go right through it and it will be hidden. It happens to all (most) of us every once in awhile. Hope this helps!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Sorry you're having a bad day. The quarter inch thing is not an easy one to master. I found that the only way I could get consistancy of ANY kind was to measure the quarter inch from the needle to the correct spot on the plate, put down a barrier guide and do this on each of my machines. Still struggle with it at times, but it's better than it was.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 AM

I bought a 1/4 inch foot for all of my machines - that has helped so much! They weren't expensive and I have found that my quilts come together so much easier. *** Also if you quilt block has many seams use a scant 1/4 inch a few threads smaller seam. When there is a lot of seams the fabric pulls tighter together and you nees to be stingy with your seams. I hope tha makes sense.
Happy sewing adventures!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Sometimes, the things I think I know are the ones that I really have to work on --yes, my 1/4" seam. As Theresa said, maybe you can "fudge" and that is a learning process, too. Good learning experience? I am sure it will turn out.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Sorry about your blocks. Been there. Not a fun place to be. But, yes, time to focus on blessings! Praying that your move goes smoothly. :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM

I have a 1/4" foot and mine would still be off... figured it wasn't the machine or the foot's problem, it was me.."gasp"! LOL I sew like I drive.. fast and furious and get there like yesterday... I just had to slow down a bit, but honestly I do feel myself having that "need for speed"
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM

[QUOTE=carslo;4617397]I bought a 1/4 inch foot for all of my machines - that has helped so much! They weren't expensive]
First- I brought a 1/4 foot for my machine and it was just a foot not shank and foot and had to pay $23.68 with tax. So where did you find one cheaper at.
Second- Was wondering why every I go to sew my needle keeps coming unthreaded. I leave a long enuff thread but it still comes untreaded.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Well I have the 1/4 inch foot with the quide and still sometimes I find things aren't fitting together. I think if I agonize over it, the fun of doing the quilt in the first place is gone. Who but you will really know when things are a little off? Most people have no idea that it's not just perfect and wouldn't care if they knew. The warmth and love you put into it is the important part. Relax and have fun! This isn't suppose to drive you crazy.

I paid $35 for my foot and it's plastic. Viking feet are expensive so I try to pick ones I know I'll really use.