AARP Membership

Old 11-24-2011, 04:16 PM

DH and I had it for a couple of years and dropped it. There was nothing we were getting it from it.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

We were members for a few years. Then dropped the membership. I won't go into why on here as it has to do with politics. We were not getting any benefits from it. Some benefits even with AARP you still have to be older than just 50. We can find other discounts at times just for asking for them with out any cards or memberships.
They keep sending us 'junk' mail so the post office should be happy --- because we send them all back!

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

I have been a member for a few years now. The ONLY reason I joined is because of the discount I get on my cell phone. I have AT&T service and the discount each year is more than I paid in dues. I joined for the longest length of time to get the better price and my cell phone discount more than pays for the membership. I can't remember what the discount is tho. If you have a membership, ask your cell phone carrier if you qualify for a discount.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 PM

We have a road service thru them, and it has been well worth it. Dh got it because I do travel alone quite a bit, unfortunately. I even managed to run out of gas once, in a driveway at a medical office, thanks to a faulty gauge. Didn't laugh at me or make women driver jokes...very courteous people. Just recently, my dh's car decided it was not moving any direction except reverse...at the gas station. The tow truck charge was $0000, thanks to the road service. It would have been far more than the road service fee and the annual dues....which he only pays for one of us, and it serves us both.

So they don't represent all our feelings. Hey, we don't agree on everything between us. The NRA doesn't represent all my feelings on guns and gun control either. I believe in the 2nd amendment, but don't feel like everyone should have a gun. SO where does that put me in their eyes? And their magazine really has too many ads.

You might not like the AARP, but if they weren't around, seniors would be treated a lot worse than they are now.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Aarp

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm debating about whether or not to renew/continue our membership in this organization.

DH feels it's a waste of money. I'm undecided.

I'm asking for more opinions?
I don't like their politics they sold the us old timers out with Obamacare.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM

If you are a member of AARP you can take their driving course for a bit less than non-members pay. In my state, taking the driving course every 3 years gets you a discount on auto insurance. That would be the only advantage I can see, so we've never joined. We watch the newspaper and found that we could take the courses at a college at a lower price than even the AARP members get. We don't agree with AARP's political agenda. They have a lot of money for lobbying.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I will not be renewing after being a member 10+ years. I would rather get subscribe to a good magazine instead.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:04 PM

If you don't make use of the discounts in insurance or other services it might not be benefiting you yet. However, even if you don't use the discounts your money is going to support legislation that supports seniors. In that sense perhaps it is not a waste of money if you agree with their work.

I have carefully read all of the posts here. I went to the ASA website and checked out their information. I am not making a judgement of whether the ASA is good or bad, however don't be fooled about their motives. With partners like the Tea Party and the NRA they are a political organization and will grow and grow as AARP has in order to achieve their agenda.

Last edited by Anna.425; 11-26-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM

We quit ours last year........it is a waste of money. Have a good day.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

I find nothing wrong with the SIZE of AARP. And if ASA grows that large that will be fine with me. However, I no longer am in agreement with their agendas. I do not support Obamacare and therefore will not support AARP.