Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some help with bindings! >

I need some help with bindings!

I need some help with bindings!

Old 11-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Exclamation I need some help with bindings!

Most days I am unable to hand sew the binding on a quilt for over 15 min. at a time due to thumb problems. I have been trying to sew the binding on by machine, but cannot get it right. The front looks great, but the stitches miss in several places on the back. Am I leaving out a step? Do I need to measure and fold the binding over in a certain way to make sure the stitches are hitting the right spot on the back? It goes great for a few inches, then . Need some words of wisdom, please!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Are you trying to catch both the front and the back with one stitching?
I stitch mine on the back by machine first, then fold over to the front and topstitch.
The topstitching on the front doesn't need to catch the binding on the back since its already stitched in place.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I really like Charismah's tutorial on machine stitched binding. You sew to the back and fold to the front. It is under...Quick Machine Binding with Flange. Some people sew to the back and do a fancy machine stitch on the front. Others sew the binding to the front and use Elmers washable glue to secure the binding to the back and then stitch from the front. There are also many tutorials on the web. Keep looking around and I'm sure there will be a binding technique that's just right for you.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Go to [email protected]. She has a great tutorial on binding totally by machine. I make my binding 2-1/2 in. (because I like to use the moda basic strips) fold it in half and press. I make enough to go around the quilt with 10-15 in. left over. Sew your binding to the back of your quilt with a 1/4" seam (I use about 3/8"). Then from the front side do a small blanket stitch with matching thread following the sewing line that you have made already. It turns out pretty good and if it is a little off in the back I don't find it noticable. I use this method for lap quilts and service quilts.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:11 PM

I love the idea of doing a fancy stitch on the front. Maybe even use some metallic thread on those holiday runners and placemats. I'm off to try this.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I really like Charismah's tutorial on machine stitched binding. You sew to the back and fold to the front. It is under...Quick Machine Binding with Flange. Some people sew to the back and do a fancy machine stitch on the front. Others sew the binding to the front and use Elmers washable glue to secure the binding to the back and then stitch from the front. There are also many tutorials on the web. Keep looking around and I'm sure there will be a binding technique that's just right for you.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Would a walking foot help?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM

There will be a few "missed" places but if you use a decorative stitch like a blanket stitch its not really noticeable. I sew my binding to the back first so its secure, then when I bring the fold over to the front I make sure that the fold is right on the seam stitches and use glue to hold it there while I sew it.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

i have machine stitched some bindings. i sew on the front, fold over to the back and i use straight pins to hold it in place. i put the pins in along the stitching line from the front, making sure to catch the binding on the back. once in awhile i miss a corner a bit but otherwise, it's been fine.
if i hand stitch, i use my metal binding clips to hold it in place.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips and links. I think I am ready to try again!