Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unused attachments and features of sewing machines >

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Old 11-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Power Poster

Default Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

How many of you have presser feet/attachments and features that came with your machine that you have never used?

I have attachments/presser feet to various sewing machines that I have never, ever used.

I've looked at some of them - tried to make them work - bias attaching foot and ruffler, for two of them - and was not able to get them to work like I think they should.

Of the 100 stitch patterns that came with my mid 1980's Pfaff - I use about five of them frequently.

Of the presser feet, I use about three of them.

No ruffler foot came with either my 1962 (year, not model) Bernina or the mid 1980's Pfaff. Rufflers seems to have been a bigger deal with older machines. Does anyone use a ruffler now?

Anyone else have mystery attachments?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 AM

I have lots of unused attachments for my Bernina.Keep meaning to try them.Some, maybe most attachments seem to be for making clothes etc. Ruffler is nice for ruffled pillows...all I can think of.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 AM

I just ordered A ruffler as I'm doing a bedskirt and pillow shams for my DGD to match her quilt she is getting for Christmas. Loved it after I saw it demonstrated and tried it in the store. i' m lucky to live in a small town that now has a
LQS that sells Berninas.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:55 AM

Me too, I think some of them are more useful to sewers of clothes which I am not.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 AM

I love all of the attachments and get very cross that one has to buy them as 'optional extras'. I would like them to come with original purchase, naturally.They have a specific purpose and make the sewing more accurate and speedy and eliminates frustration.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:53 AM

I have about 15 feet with my Janome - haven't used all of them yet, but am sure that I will in the future. Also have 6 additional feet with my Baby Lock serger - again, know I will use them once I learn how. And I do have a ruffler - cost about 12 dollars and stays mostly attached to my gear driven Singer. I LOVE the ruffler, and make really good use of it making clothes for my little grand girl. I downloaded a PDF tutorial for rufflers (not any certain brand) and it was a Godsend for me. I don't have the actual link anymore, but know that I downloaded it for free from the "YOU CAN MAKE THIS.COM" site. It was VERY well written and very, very thorough.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:10 AM

Several came with my 1960s or 1970s Singers 401 and 500 Rocketeer and with my 1950s Featherweight. I was just looking through the top hat cams that came with the 401 and 500 the other day. Apparently, I bought some off of EBay trying to get one of each, ended up with several of the same ones, still don't have one of each. I also have bunches of the different feet. One of these snowy days (hopefully far in the future!), I plan on getting all of these out and making sample stitches and see what they do!

Joyce
Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 AM

I have a Viking that is well over 10yrs old now and I think I purchased every attachment it offered-little by little. And, unfortunately, really have not used most of them. Recently I have purchased a BabyLock and will not get caught up in buying all those attachments........the Viking is still working so if I need to I can switch machines. BTW, for owners of BL Allure......it offers 1/4" seam choice on screen, shows 1/4" mark on machine before needle, and also offers an attachment for 1/4" seam.......isn't this a bit redundant??????which one is the most precise? they all look alike to me!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 AM

After owning my Singer Athena for about 20 years, I tried the blind hem foot, previously just used zigzag foot. Oh my goodness what a difference that foot made, what took me so long? Another feature, used the double needle that came with the machine on a knit top my daughter wanted fixed. The machine had a switch to flip when using the double needle, think it set the tension, and well....it made the most beautiful hem stitch for the knit.
I have a Pfaff now, 9years, making the effort to use all the features in the book. Wow so many cool things to dress up projects. The feature that I like the most, it wasn't even on my list, is the needle down button...LOVE IT!!!! Another foot that I purchased with it is the stitch in the ditch foot, works great. Wish I had purchased a cording foot, like to make artsy things at Christmas time.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I also have the Ruffler PDF & it's one of the clearest instruction books I have. Here's the url if anyone is interested.
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...-unruffled.htm

Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
I have about 15 feet with my Janome - haven't used all of them yet, but am sure that I will in the future. Also have 6 additional feet with my Baby Lock serger - again, know I will use them once I learn how. And I do have a ruffler - cost about 12 dollars and stays mostly attached to my gear driven Singer. I LOVE the ruffler, and make really good use of it making clothes for my little grand girl. I downloaded a PDF tutorial for rufflers (not any certain brand) and it was a Godsend for me. I don't have the actual link anymore, but know that I downloaded it for free from the "YOU CAN MAKE THIS.COM" site. It was VERY well written and very, very thorough.