Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning your machine >

Cleaning your machine

Cleaning your machine

Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

I used canned air on my keyboard and it left an oily film between the keys and I could never get it really clean. I wouldn't use canned air for that reason.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
As everyone else has mentioned, do not use canned air!

It's fairly easy to clean it with your vacuum cleaner even if you don't have the specialty attachments. Just duct tape a straw to the crevice tool of your vacuum cleaner. You can poke the straw in to suck out lots of lint.
What a very good idea you have about the straw - going to try this little trick. Clever!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

Be careful with the vacuuming. You want to have the suction on low, not on high, especially if you have a newer machine with electronic components.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 AM

If you use canned air, and you blow lint further up into the machine, think about this....inside the machine there are parts that require grease and oil, metal on metal moving parts...right? Well, some oil or grease is bound to get on the lint inside the machine, which makes it very sticky. What will stick to oily lint better than anything else? More lint! Soon you have a packed house and a malfunctioning machine. I have a friend who used canned air in her machine regularly, and now in order for the machine to work, she has to hold a blow dryer on it, on hot, for about 5 minutes before it will start. Reason? Probably a piece of greasy lint caught in the circuit board...somehow, the heat is expanding something so that it will work, may not have anything to do with lint, but why take a chance? The canned air on mechanical machines is probably not as much a thread as on computerized machines, due to complicated circuit boards, mother boards, etc. This is why it is okay to use it on sergers, they are mechanical, you can see the entire works when you open the front... but I don't use it on my serger either, I just have too much money invested in my machines to take a chance like that.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Using canned air is a no no. It only drives dust, dirt and lint further into your machine parts. Don't do it, please!!!!! I'd just keep the bobbin area as clean as possible of lint. I'm sure your machine will be fine for a few more months
Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Okay, I am bad, use the air occasionally along with the other things. I have had no problems with it in all these years of use on any of my many machines. However, you need to use it properly. As for dampness if you use the air properly you don't get you machine damp. It also doesn't clog up your machine from shooting it into parts, anymore than a brush does.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM

My machine says don't even blow into the bobbin area because you'll blow the area back into the machine more. I'm going to invest into a small vacumm cleaner with attachments after Christmas to get it all. Even on a pc which the air is made for you have to be experienced before you use it because you can cause damage to the pc.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM

Don't use canned air! As mentioned, it will only blow the lint further back/down into your machine. You can go to a local office supply store and get small attachments designed for vacuuming computers; they're relatively cheap and work great at getting into the nooks & crannies of a sewing machine!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM

I use a dry clean artist's brush that is ONLY used for that purpose.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM

My dealer told me not to use the canned air on my machine. She said it has moisture in it and also forced the dust and fibers into parts of the machine they should not be in.