Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking to upgrade sewing machine and dont know where to start >

looking to upgrade sewing machine and dont know where to start

looking to upgrade sewing machine and dont know where to start

Old 12-23-2011, 04:21 AM

Thank you for asking the question about getting information for buying a new sewing machine. There are a lot of good suggestions from the board members. I found the information very informative. My LQS sells BabyLock sewing machines and they look and work really nice. I also found out that the company who makes Babylock sewing machines also makes Brother sewing machines.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM

Babylock Symphony, it comes with several feet for quilting.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:42 AM

I just recently went thru this same process, and this was how I finally decided which machine to purchase. The very first thing I did was make a list of the important things I needed the machine to have, in order of preference. Then once I had the list figured out, I went shopping. I took along fabric from what I was working on, and tested each machine, and made notes (I used one of those small notebooks, listed each machine, and dealer). Then I went home and sorted all my notes, and narrowed down my search. None of use can tell you which machine will suit you the best, as we all have different ideas of what we are looking for, and what is comfortable for us. However, we can offer suggestions on how to decide. Buy locally, because, they will offer classes for you to learn that new machine. If you are spending that amount of money there is certainly going to be a learning curve from your old to your new machine. Additionally if you purchase locally they will be able to service your machine, honor your warranty, and should be able to give you additional discounts for future purchases. In the end I purchased a floor model Babylock Quest Plus which I love. I saved big time on the price, and got the same benefits as if I had purchased new.

Best of luck in your search, and let us know what you finally decide on!!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 AM

I love my Janome 6600. I have a brother embroidery machine which I was totally frustrated quilting with. The harp was too small and I always seemed to have bunches in my quilts. Janome 6600 has accufeed which eliminates the problem of bunching especially for a newbie. I would try all the suggestions listed and buy that which you are most comfortable with. Good luck
Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 AM

I would choose the top 3 machines on the market. Do some research, there is an endless supply of info on the net.
Sew on these machines, you will be able to tell as soon as you sew on the "right" one. Happy Sewing!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM

LOVE, LOVE, Love my Juki 98Q. Can buy online for less than $1k. Have had it for 8 years, never one problem and use it all the time for piecing and quilting. Couldn't ask for better workhorse.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM

I also recommend the Janome 6600....it's a lot of machine for the $$. And there is a Yahoo group you can join that can help with many problems.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I love my Janome 6600. Definitely under 2k. Janome now has a 7700 which is a step up. I also suggest that you invest in a good machine quilting book and machine quilting lessons. Its not always the machine but rather learning to tweek it. I took lessons from Harriet Hargrave and her book is priceless. She specializes in teaching beginners. You can probably find her Heirloom Machine Quilting book on Amazon.com. In looking for a machine, needle down is very helpful. A larger throat space. I love the auto thread cutter. 6600 has it all. There is a Janome 6500/6600 yahoo group you may find helpful.

I recently found a used 6600 at a dealer (previous owner had upgraded) and absolutely love it! It has so many options and the accufeed system is amazing and so easy to use. I have found my dream machine.....at least until the budget allows for an upgrade! LOL
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Janome just came out with a new machine this fall and my local dealer is getting some nice trade-ins that he is offering for a great price. He gives lessons and support for anything purchased at his shop. I actually got my second-hand Janome 6500 from this site. It was about 5 years old, gently used and recently services. I love it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Love my Brother Lauren Ashley Innovis 2000. It is the same as Babylock Symphony (made by Brother). Quilting lap quilts is still a challenge for me. I leave that up to people with long arms.