Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron) >

My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron)

My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron)

Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM

Default My issue with polyester thread/cotton thread (hot iron)

FYI - Polyester thread and the hot iron don't agree. I have used poly thread as long as I can remember until yesterday when I called my sister and asked what she used to piece her quilt tops. Her answer was Brooks cotton quilting thread. - Well - She never told me this or why. I found out why Sunday. After ironing a GMFG top that I started over 25 years ago, I placed the top on the quilt frame and noticed a scorched piece. As I was removing it I could not see the thread to pick with the seam ripper, so turned it over and picked from the other side to realize that the thread on the other side had 'melted'. This was true on 4 of the 6 seams. --- I will continue to use the poly thread I have, but be aware of the heat factor. I will also be looking for large spools of cotton thread to use in the future. My quilts are for me and family, but I do have plans for some quilts that will have that extra effort. With those I will use the cotton thread. -- I always felt that polyester was stronger than cotton. I have been proved wrong with the heat factor in play. My first 2 quilts were polyester doubleknit. They will last for ever. Already rebacked them twice.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM

The other reason to use cotton thread on cotton fabric is that it'll hold up better; polyester thread can actually cut thru your cotton fabric. Fabric and thread should match. The same upper thread should match bobbin thread.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

i'm sorry to hear about your quilt that took so long to make. but thanks for sharing the experience to remind us why the cotton is important.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Yes, pressing and poly thread don't go together. That's why I don't use it.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Thank you for posting this! Just Sunday, I took a spool of white 100% polyester thread and filled a bobbin and used it to sew some blocks together on a baby quilt I am making. I was worried about the tension issue with cotton on the top and poly on the back but the stitching is perfect. I thought that was the only thing I needed to worry about. I got several spools in a box when I bought my serger and was just going to use them up. Now I will remove that bobbin from my machine and get rid of the poly thread!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM

thanks for sharing the info, sorry about your quilt
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Bob from Superior Threads discusses this topic in his classes. If you ever get the chance to take a class, I highly recommend it. They are free, he does NOT do a "hard sell" to get to to buy his product, and they are very entertaining and informative. There is quite a bit of information on the "education" tab of Superior's website. This page is where he discusses the "cotton vs poly" debate.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...zing-substance
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM

I had this issue working on a quilt top. The poly thread just seemed to dissappear as I was pressing. It was my iron !! My very expensive Rowenta was going haywire and just kept heating and heating it was beyond super hot! . ( FYI - I had a second Rowenta that died the same way ... ) Now that I discarded the iron(s), I have had no issues.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Because I was first a garment sewer, I have lots of poly thread....I use it, but have been aware of the heat factor....was not so aware of the wear on the fabric problem.....Thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Peckish, thank you for posting this site. I knew I had read it somewhere, but could not bring it up in my mind. I have and do use poly threads and have never had a melting issues with them. They are stronger than 100% cotton threads so I don't have stitches popping and breaking when I sit down on a quilt which is on a bed.

All I use on my longarm are poly, cotton wrapped poly or poly wrapped cotton. I learned serveral years ago that the 100% cotton threads would break with just normal wear and tear on a quilt.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Bob from Superior Threads discusses this topic in his classes. If you ever get the chance to take a class, I highly recommend it. They are free, he does NOT do a "hard sell" to get to to buy his product, and they are very entertaining and informative. There is quite a bit of information on the "education" tab of Superior's website. This page is where he discusses the "cotton vs poly" debate.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...zing-substance