Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
entrance Fee's for GUILD shows! >

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM

$5 is more than fair. It must be some kind of fund raiser and pay for the site. Most shows are at least $5 and more around here.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM

I agree-$5.00 is very fair to see quilts-a movie costs more and quilts are more fun for us quilters.You do not get much for $5.00 in fun anymore anyway-may aw well be for looking at quilts
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM

I have been to a few quilt shows and guild shows. some they asked for a donation and some there was a 2-5 dollar fee. there is a huge quilt show once a year that is around 10 to get into but there are around 100+ vendors and well over 100+ quilts of all types. but the local guild shows i wouldn't pay more than 2-5 for just because i don't have lots of money to throw around. I also like when kids under 10 are free. mostly because my kids are 3+4 years old and they go everywhere with me.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Around here most shows seem to have gone up to $5.00. There are many hidden costs to holding a show. Especially extra insurance in case quilts are stolen. Even locations like "free schools or town halls" often have an xtra charge for maintenance people/clean up/security. I am only willing to pay more than $5 at a really huge national show. I also go planning on buying raffle tickets, or items the guilds sell. Shows with judges usually charge for each quilt entered to off-set the cost of the judges/ribbons/prizes.
Due to medical costs I just can't afford to go to more expensive shows. I would rather keep the cost to enter a show lower to try and encourage new quilters to come. Then I support the guild/sponsor in whatever way I can through raffle tickets,etc.

Kat
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM

i'm on soc sec and have very little savings tho my home is paid for... the point is that $5 is a lot for me to come up with often or on the spot, but quilt shows don't come up often and there is NOTHING i wouldn't give $5 for more willingly... every man in our lives spends more than that for one day's lunch... and we don't even question it... not only do i think i deserve a $5 now and then, but i deserve a few dollars to spend while at the show... i will happily brown bag it to the show so i have enough money to buy a book or a new tool or a half yard of fabric. i understand if you don't feel like you can spend $5 or $10 to get in and would rather spend it some other way, but that is your choice... we all spend our money differently and it is our choice... just because we don't have a ton of money doesn't mean that we can tell the people who run quilt shows that they should give us something for nothing or that the speakers don't deserve their fees or that the building owners shouldn't help offset their costs of electricity, insurance, etc. I have never met a more generous and giving group than a bunch of quilters... one of the vendors i patronized one time told me not to bother when i started to get out my ID for a check, "I've never had a check bounce from a quilt show," she told me. I have no reason to believe that any group of quilters is trying to gouge me for one extra dollar. These shows are a huge amount of work for a lot of people and I think the entrance price is a good bargain.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM

I think $5.00 is a bargain, considering that you can go in the morning when the doors open and can stay all day, if you want. As someone else stated, it cost a lot more than that to go to a show at a theatre.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

around here the 'norm' is $5 --- for your $5 you do get along with a printed program a free pattern, a pin, some other free items...like a pot holder- or mug rug---little (gifts) given at the door when you pay to get in- and you get to be entered in a couple prize drawings-
i don't mind paying $5---i think i would have to really think about it to pay $10 though
(although my hubby likes going to look at the quilts too- so we do pay $10 to get in)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM

I agree, five dollars is more than fair as an admission charge to a guild show, even at a county fairgrounds. They have a great many expenses to cover and it's not cheap to lease space in any building, fairgrounds included. I'm sure the guilds are not raking in huge profits with the admission fees...other stuff like raffles and vendor space maybe, but not admissions.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

So skip a couple of lattes or sodas and you have your price of admission. Five bucks just isn't much anymore. Can you even buy a $tarbucks for five bucks these days? The admission price for the quilt expo in Denver the first weekend of May was $14 the last time I went. It didn't seem to make much difference, the place was packed.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 AM

quilt shows are getting to be a very difficult thing first of all is finding people willing to do the work as there is a lot of work involved second is a place to have one that is large enough and affordable and yes I would pay 5.00 dollars as I do know of guilds that do make their money this way and classes and demos are a very good thing