Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to change the size without big borders? >

How to change the size without big borders?

How to change the size without big borders?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Default How to change the size without big borders?

I have a pattern from McCall's Quilting Quick Quilts issue Sept 2002. It is called Aunt Lizzie's scrap bag. It give a quilt with a finished size of 60.5 x 72.5. I'd like to make it to fit my queen size bed. It already includes a 7" white border with applique flowers, so I don't want to add another border. And when I change the size how do I adjust fabric requirements? The link the the ebay listing is posted below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220926687628...ht_1331wt_1037

Thanks everyone!

~Katie
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM

I can't tell what size the blocks are, but I think I would add more rows and columns. Figure out how many blocks are in a row and column, then how many you want. From these figures you can determine how many more blocks you need to make. Hope tht helps. It's a very pretty pattern.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM

I agree - I'd add blocks. According to the listing, they're only 4", so you can easily add another row or two without getting too large. Without knowing what the fabric requirements are, it's kind of hard to say how much more fabric you'd need. Do you have scraps you could use or supplement with?

Last edited by Peckish; 01-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM

I have some solid 1/4 flats to use but those will most likely be used on thr flowers and dresden centers. I will post fabric requirements in the morning if that will help. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 PM

It looks to me as if the blocks are only 4" big. Double them and make them 8" big, and you will get to your Queen-sized quilt faster and easier. First, figure out how big the 4" size will give you. Then double that , and that will be the 8" size. From there, start adding 8" rows to the sides and end to come up with your queen size, taking into account the border of course. For the fabric, figure out how much you need for the 4" size, then doubt it when you double the size of the quilt. Then figure out how much you're adding to that, and how that relates to what you're already getting. Are you taking that doubled size and adding a third more? Then you'll need a third more of the fabric you need for the double size. When in doubt, add up all of the 8" blocks both ways, allow for seam allowances, allow a bit more for comfort, and see what that is in inches, divided by 36 (1 yard), and you'll have your needs. I always do it down and across because 36 isn't far from 42-45" wide, if you see what I mean. Then you'll need to figure out what percentage of the quilt belongs to each color. Normally I just look at the original break down. It's not going to change. If "blue" is, for instance, 1/3 of the total fabric needs of the original quilt, it's going to be 1/3 of the enlarged quilt.

Really, enlarging the blocks is he best, easiest, fastest way to go. In a larger quilt, the 4" blocks would likely look out of place, undersized, too fussy anyway. You need to enlarge the blocks in proportion to the size of the quilt to make it look natural. I'm not pulling this out of my head. I'm pulling it out of a very good book on re-sizing quilts.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

if that outside border is 7" the blocks must be 6" blocks---if you add 4 more across and 4 more down- then re-measure before cutting borders it would add 24" more to the length & width- you could also add a 2 1/2" inside border before adding the outside appliqued border that would put it up to--88"x100" (adding 28" to the overall)