Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 AM

Default Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Ok, so this happened on Friday night. I was using the pinking rotary cutter and happily cutting - when it happened. Didn't even feel it (though I have felt it plenty since!). Question - anyone out there having had this experience - does this kind of thing heal on it's own? About how long does it take? No sign of infection. But the tip of my finger - doesn't take much for it to start throbbing. Starting to wonder if I should go to the doctor. And yet - thinking what can they do at this point - and again - no sign of infection.

It's the right side top of my left index finger. The flap of skin was almost severed (maybe 1/2 inch long by a about 1/4 inch wide, several layers of skin). It was still attached in the center. While I considered going to the Urgent Care center, I decided against it because it wasn't so much that the cut was deep. There didn't seem to be anything to stitch.

I held pressure on it until it stopped bleeding (took a bit). Poured hydrogen peroxide on it (boy did that sting). Then covered it in neosporin and wrapped well in gauze and taped. I kept it like this through Saturday (cleaned it a couple of times, changed the gauze). On Sunday I decided it probably needed to dry some so it could start healing.

The bottom of the flap of skin looks like it has reattached. I didn't think that is possible - not sure if that is what happened. But it is sealed up around the bottom. The top oozes a little here and there. A blood clot was under the top edge. I actually cut that little bit off this morning (cleaned the clipper well, this part was kind of sticking up on my finger). Put neosporin on it again this morning since I cut that little bit off. I am a secretary - but find that I can't type in an extended fashion (the constant tat-tat-tat on the keyboard ends up hurting, but pecking away for small bits seems ok). Kind of wondering how long it will take to heal. I have had somewhat deep cuts before (sliced finger on can or with knife) - but I don't remember it still hurting a week later. Again, doesn't hurt constantly - but doesn't take much to set off the throbbing.

You can bet I pay closer attention to where my fingers are at on my ruler now!!! Have read where people recommend a little gripper thing. Might just add that to my arsenal. This is one experience I don't want to repeat! Kind of wondering if the side of my finger will be misshapen. Oh - and I didn't realize how much one bumps their finger on things in the course of a day. A lot!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 AM

Sorry you cut your finger - that must hurt like crazy. The only people I've known that cut their fingers badly with a rotary cutter needed stitches. I would imagine it will take a little while for that to heal.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 AM

It hurts and probably will for some time, especiallly if you use it ... and how could you not. Keep putting antiseptic on it and watching it for infection ... maybe research other treatments for faster healing. In a couple of months you will surely feel better. BTW how are you washing dishes?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Sorry about your finger. I recently had a finger injury too. I went to the emergency room because it was a dog bite (to the bone) and looked bad. It hurt for about 2 weeks. If I bump it, it will still hurt and the injury was months ago. Now, I was told, in the emergency room...NEVER put peroxide on an injury. It not olny kills the bad germs and bacteria, but also the good. It is too late for stitches. Keep the wound clean and dry. Applying neosporin will help but keeps the skin wet and will take longer to heal. The skin flap will reattach but it takes a while. Trimming the dead skin is ok, but be sure that everything you use is sterile. Keep the wound covered during the day to keep dirt out. A bandaid will be enough. Wash you hands often to keep it clean and take some ibuprofin if it keeps hurting. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM

I have basically the same exact cut right now. The flap didn't reattach itself or whatever. It is just the moisuture from the neosporin. If you leave it uncovered for a day or a so after it starts feeling better you will see it sort of dries out. Mine happened Christmas Eve and it is still a visibile cut and very sensitive.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 AM

MaryMo - I have loaded some dishes into the dishwasher. I have some rubber gloves that I put on. I take great care to keep it dry. The first several days, I tried not to do any of that. Good reason not to clean/cook/etc.

AprilG - thanks for the info on peroxide. Didn't know that. To trim anything or not - I kept wondering about that. This morning decided that little sliver at the top with the blood clot might be impeding healing, so snipped it (skin was dead, no feeling there). Kind of sounds like keep doing what I have been doing. I did pour alcohol all over the clippers I used to snip.

I do keep a bandaid on at all times. Other than this morning (since I messed with it) I have been leaving off the neosporin so that it can dry and heal. I will keep on keeping on then - inspecting it daily for any signs of infection while there are still parts that are raw and exposed.

I didn't think I was being careless, but I will certainly slow down when cutting!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Oh boy, does that bring back memories! I did the same thing a year and a half ago...sliced the side of the same finger right off....didn't feel a thing, was amazed at the sudden spurt of blood, and then the pain started. Bled terribly. I went to the walk in clinic, where they took very good care of me....no stitches, nothing to stitch! They put a heavy coat of Aquafor over the area, after cleaning with just soap and water. A heavy bandage to protect from bumps. Went back in 2 days then they changed the dressing, told me to keep it covered and MOIST with the Aquaphor, which is like a petroleum jelly, for several more days. It healed well but took a long time and was very sensitive....lots of nerves in the ends of fingers. The finger is slightly misshapen on the side, but not noticeable really. I learned my lesson....I use a glove now. The funniest thing was when I got home from the clinic, I went to clean up the blood and found the little piece of flesh lying on my cutting mat.....dried up like a potato chip!!!! LOL Good luck, you'll be fine....glad you had no infection.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Gramalama9 - love the name!!! Hmm...wearing a glove - another thought to consider. That's the main reason I didn't go to the urgent care clinic - I figured there really wasn't anything to stitch. The flap was still attached in the middle - but still, I didn't think they would stitch that back. Suppose I could be wrong. Too late now if I am wrong. Guess I shouldn't worry about the healing time, as long as there isn't an infection and it isn't getting worse. Sounds like it will be a slow process.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Ouch -- been there, done that about 2 yrs ago!!!! I made little "butterflies"...out of bandaids and closed mine up -- can't even see a scar now. I'd have had to drive 35 miles to urgent care....nope, not if I can help it!!! Besides, I'd have had to pay $$$ and I needed that money for fabric!!!! I have MY priorities!!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Like gramalama9 says, it healed well 'but took a long time and was very sensitive'. When using a paper cutter at work,I sliced off the same spot, same finger as you. Her mishap was a 1 1/2 years ago. Mine was over 20 years. I do remember it seemed to take the better part of 2 years for it to stop being sensitive. I got use to using the other side of the tip of my finger to avoid pain. It took about 5+ years for the finger print to grow back. Until it did, it was a darker, smooth spot. When I hear of these type of injuries, I feel the pain all over again. I know my story is depressing but I adapted. I think the typing will be your challenge. -- When I did it, the first thing I did was to look around and see if anyone saw me. Didn't see anyone watching , so went to the restroom and wrapped it up and went back to work. Should have gone to the clinic, but was too imbarrassed to report being unsafe. I worked/retired from the Post Office and injuries are frowned on.