Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter >

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Sliced side of finger with rotary cutter

Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Sound to me like your doing the right thing by giving it some air neosporen is good but air is still better, at least with my skin. I don't like it to be so moist.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Years ago I purchased a 6x24" ruler and it had a plastic piece glued onto it as the protection for fingers. Worked great until it got unglued. (I just need to reglue it) I haven't seen one since but I did see at JAs they had just the plastic protection piece for sale. I don't know how much but you may want to check it out. Good Luck and sorry!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM

I had done that to my thumb and had to go get stitches - it wouldn't stop bleeding, but it took a long time for the sensitivity to leave. There are lots of nerves and vessels in your fingers.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM

I took the side off a finger on Thanksgiving day 13 years ago. Hubby grabbed the piece and put it in a cup of salt water and rushed me and finger to hospital. Doctor was going to sew it back on until the nurse looked in the cup, got sick, and threw it onto the floor. They then just bandaged the finger, after packing it in honey! It hurt like you know what, but it healed and it looks almost normal. It did hurt for a couple of weeks!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM

I cut the tip off of my index finger about 1/8 off the Dr. ask where is the rest of your finger lol on the cutting table silly .. it does take a long time when it throbs raise your hand. if you look very close at my finger you could see it is a little smaller. I am fully healed.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi Dawn,
I have not sliced my finger with a rotary cutter BUT I did smash and pull the tip off when I was helping a friend move a sewing table that was upside down and the folded end of the table fell open and caught my finger. It took part of the bone off as well as all the skin and smashed the meat inside. it was a mess and I went to the ER with visions of them amputating the finger to the joint. They told me peroxide was a no no. I learned that God has really made us in a way that healing is quite a miracle. They gave me several choices of how to treat it. finishing teh amputation, doing a skin graft, or letting it heal on its own. I chose the last one. They told me it would take about 4 months for the skin to grow back over the mashed meat and it did. I was amazed! It took another year for most of the nerves to grow back. My finger is shorter, but even the fingerprints grew back! I had to change the bandage several times each day and had to do
a "whirlpool treatment" (I made my own using one of those water picks!) The thing that really helped with the healing and "comfort" ---and yes it hurt more than anything I have ever had in my life --- was the special bandage they recommended. We gopt it at a pharmacy. It was a sterile gauze pad that is soaked in something that makes it kind of feel like vaseline. It did not stick to the wound so it made it easier to change the bandage - you might want to see if you can find those. Of course I had lots of layers over that gauze pad to protect my finger from bumps. Used more regular gauze and then held it on with that knitted tubing for fingers they sell at the pharmacy. And they made me a padded metal thing to cover the whole thing. I did get antibiotics and a tetanus shot too. They told me to avoid neosporin for the long term because it tends to gum up on the wound and then you have to get it off. Hope some of this helps you.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Also cut my finger and found the piece on the cutting mat later that night. Tried to be very careful. I am a hairdresser and everything I did hurt, but nothing like permanent wave solution.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

It was probably good that the top blistered area was snipped off. The edges of the wound will heal faster than that of the inside on many occassions. Some things don't get stitched together the way they used to because the healing needs to come from the inside to the outside to fully heal and reattatch.
Keep it clean and dry--from water showering, or doing dishes, and keep it covered most of the time when it could get caught in clothes, or whatever and pulled it back apart. You will know when the healing is such that that happening won't be an issue. Then you can leave bandages off like ever night, then more and more open. It will be sensitive for quite some time, and may always be more sensitive than it was before the wound. It depends on how close to the nerve the cut was, and other things.
Other ideas, think about you have used in the past to help your body heal. Use that as your guide to get this healed. We all are different, so one ointment may help you that won't help the next and visa versa. Try something for 2 days, then if that doesn't work, try the next thing on your list. If in 4 days you have little luck gettng it healed, have it looked at. You could have an infection in it that is keeping it from healing. Or if the pain gets too severe, or you have draingage that you didn't have before, don't hesitate to go to the DR.
Good Luck. I praying you will heal quilckly and completely.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM

I did the same finger but went through the fingernail. Had 6 stitches and boy did it throb for a while. I have been very careful ever since.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 AM

I did the exact same thing about 6 years ago but took off half of the side of my finger along with the nail and nail bed. Hubby rushed me to the hospital and they had to re-attach. Took a long time to heal though, still have little feeling in the tip of my finger but now use meat cutters gloves when cutting.