Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slice fabricate >

Slice fabricate

Slice fabricate

Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 AM

Default Slice fabricate

I saw a shape cutting tool called Slice Fabrique advertised in a quilt magazine. It looks like it was designed for scrapbooking, but has a fabric blade. Has anyone had any experience with this? Look like it has less waste than the Accuquilt cutter.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 AM

No! But I have the Go Baby and there is so little waste if you use it correctly. More importantly, the cuts are perfect.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM

The slice is used for applique shapes. It cannot do standard quilting shapes like squares, half square triangles, strips, etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I use my original Slice for letters. I have monogrammed a couple of things before and cut the letter with my slice then applique to my fabric.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Check out the Accuquilt website. They have sales all the time.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Hey quiltmom04! I actually bought the Slice Fabrique for myself for Christmas (found a good deal on ebay =) and I haven't used it yet (I have a few projects I need to finish right now, before I can start playing with it =) but I would be happy to let you know how it works once I start playing with it....before purchasing anything, I was trying to decide between the Slice Fabrique and the Accuquilt Go! Baby, but I finally made my decision based on what I could afford, and how much I would use each item. I hate to cut stuff out, so the Accuquilt Go! looked really good, but because I love to make a wide variety of quilt types, and because I wouldn't be able to afford all of the dies that I would need to accomodate making all of those types of quilts, I decided to go with the Slice F., which is specifically for cutting out fusible applique shapes....the digital readout on the Slice allows a person to choose a variety of shapes, as well as specify the size of shape (up to 4", I believe), and the shapes are all cut with one machine, and there are no dies needed....you can buy different design cards (small memory cards, similar in shape and size to a digital camera memory card) to insert into the Slice, and these are around $40 per card (on average), but due to how much you get on the card, and all the size options, it seems to be a pretty good deal financially. Again, I think it depends on what exactly you want to do....like hobo2000 and DonnaR mentioned above, the Accuquilt Go! is really for cutting out quilt shapes that can then be pieced together into a quilt top, and the Slice Fabrique is specifically designed for fusible applique (which I love, because it's fast and easy, and with small kids running around my house, I need quilt projects that are as fast and easy as possible! ha ha! =) I hope this helps, and if you want, I'll be happy to let you know what I find when I start playing with it =)