Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Maching 401A >

Singer Sewing Maching 401A

Singer Sewing Maching 401A

Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Does anyone have a Singer 401A? I have been told to look for one. Have been on ebay and they get quite expensive $250-$300 or so If you have one is it worth the money?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 401A is a great vintage machine. However, what exactly do you want one for? They're not for everyone.

I had several vintage sewing machines that I finally sold to another collector. Why? Because I realized I preferred using my modern Bernina for all of my sewing. I loved the vintage machines, but they were just collecting dust. (Actually, I still have a few I couldn't part with in the storage roomm but they are covered against the dust.....)

I would not purchase a 401A on eBay. If I wanted one, I would scout the thrift shops, Goodwill, and sewing machine dealerships in the area, scan the local "for sale" ads in the newspaper, go to garage sales that mention sewing machines or fabric, etc.

If you really want one and eBay is your best option, you have to make sure that the seller is truly familiar with how to properly package a sewing machine for the trip. Most people don't know how to pack them, and many machines arrive damaged. Sewing machines are heavy, too, so shipping usually costs quite a bit. Shipping costs are not refundable on a return, so you are out shipping costs both ways if you are not satisfied with the machine. Some sellers can't even tell if a machine is operable. There are a few sellers on eBay who specialize in sewing machines and really know what they are doing, but you do have to be careful from whom you buy.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks so much for you advice. I sew more than quilts and have been told this is a good machine to use. I have been scouting the thrift shops and such and have people looking out for one for me. I am like you, I just do not feel comfortable with ebay all of the time. My local tinker man who repairs machines (retired now) says it the best because of the metal parts.??
Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM

I have several old singer sewing machines. I love them all. But, I have never paid more than around $25 for them. Some of them I find very dirty and we clean them up and they work great. My featherweight is the ony one I have paid more for. I paid $160 for it and love it too.
Judy in Ohio
Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Do you have any old singers? I have a 1950 reproduction of an 1850 Singer and I've used it nearly every day for the last 11 years but I would love to find another one for parts. Probably a pipe dream but since you said you have several vintage ones just thought I'd ask.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 AM
alimaui

I have the Singer 403A which I inherited from the husbands grandmother. It is all metal, and I do love working with an all metal machine. I will admit, my biggest concern is something breaking, and not being able to find replacement parts, but I have been able to find all the accessories I wanted on ebay. The machine came witht he cams and the manual so I started off pretty well. I have seen my same machine go for around $300 on ebay.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.