Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift?? >

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 PM

We don't buy anniversary presents anymore. But Christmas and birthdays we email links to websites and pictures of EXACTLY what we want to each other. Then we have the option of looking for things in a store, ordering directly from that website or shopping around for a better price, free shipping etc.
It is agreed that we don't substitute the item wanted for a different model/type/brand of item because its cheaper.
That way we still get each other a gift but we end up with what we want.

For the kids we take them to store and take pictures on our phone of items on the store shelf with the price and email them to grandmas, aunts etc. So they have a picture of what they want with the price too.

Last edited by kelsunshine; 03-20-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 AM

We don't exchange gifts very much, but last year I bought my self a Viking Mega Quilter for Mother's Day. DH did help me carry it into my sewing room.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM

yeap. been 42 years. i buy what i want . he gets a new gun i get a new machine!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Hubby sometimes buys me gifts but lately have bought my own because it will be the right thing. DH mostly just doen't think I need yet another vintage sewing machine to add to the herd.
While in college, not that long ago, I needed a pick me up gift as it was the last semester and student teaching to boot. I was out buying Easter dresses (maybe??) and saw the perfect gift for me. I bought it and then had to buy a necklace to put this gorgeous cross on. I still wear that cross for special occasions, Easter, and when I need a pick me up. When I do wear it, friends always comment upon it and say how nice it looks. It is cross of either garnets or amethysts and very blingy!!
Everyday is a special day when He is with you. Wear that cross Every day! Why wait?
Sandy
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Sinbad has a comic routine about this.
...Sinbad....take me back to the 80's. I still this Sinbad is the funniest guy ever. Loved the red hair!!! (for him!)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM

Hubby and I have been married for 23 years, this is the first year he bought me a Christmas present, all the other times he buys his and I buy mine. By the way, he bought me a 22 rifle.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

For my anniversary, Christmas, my birthday and Valentine's Day, I buy something online for myself and when the box comes, I give it to my husband and he wraps it and gives it back to me on the day it was intended for. Have been doing this for years. I'm always so excited because I haven't actually seen or felt the items I order.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Absolutely. If I wait for him to buy me what I want, I'd better be comfortable. This way, I tell him what I am getting and about how much it is going to cost. Have never heard a negative word about anything I have ever wanted or gotten. DH always gets me flowers though. Each and every year for 33 years. Gotta love him.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM

All the time. If I want something I go buy it.When he comes home I have it wrapped on the table.When we eat I look at him and say "Oh honey you remembered" he says "yep let me see what I bought you"
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM

Yes, I have a good husband, but not so good at gifts. Therefore, after many not so good gifts, the last one was a house coat in a 3x , was a 14 then, another socks & sweatshirt. The socks were ok, but the sweatshirt with a bull dog
cartoon for racing on it. It was enough, after i bought my own 25th anninversary, he now says you want to buy a gift and tell how much I cash you need. I do and we are all happy.