Old lace

Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Default Old lace

I am making a new gown out of old bridal lace. Has anyone else done that? I need to piece it with extra lace that came from the sleeves and repair parts that have rotted. How do you fit the extra piece into the pattern on the lace ? Do you hand stitch the edges together ? Anyone that has done this please give some advice. I have cut bridal tulle the shape of the new pattern pieces and now am laying the oldbridal lace on the tulle to use as a backing, then will hand stitch the entire piece to the pattern piece which has been cut from organza, so that the lace lays on top and will then sew that all together as one piece, but I have to repair the pieces first and then get the piece solid before laying on organza. Have I really mixed this up or does it make any sense at all.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM

20 years ago I made my daughter's wedding dress with a lace top and inset lace on the sleeves. I was using new beaded and sequined lace. I did hand stitch the edges together, overlapping the threads connecting the lace slightly and taking small stitches. I had to piece the lower part of the bodice and back where the lace came to a point. I don't remember exactly but I believe I tried matching pieces but as the lace was vey expensive and I didn't have much extra I pieced as best I could. I think because of the beading and sequins any mismatch didn't show. Your lace may be different but even without beads and sequins if its the same lace it should look ok even if not a direct match. Put the biggest whole piece you have in the front.
I would suggest that since some of your lace has rotted spots to be repaired that you might be able to handle the material safer if you baste what you have to the tulle first if that is strong enough to take any handling while you make the repairs. That might help any other areas from giving when you handle the material.

Hand sewing the lace was tedious but it did come out nicely. Good luck to you.

Last edited by selm; 03-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.