Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size is your strip? >
  • What size is your strip?

• What size is your strip?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Default What size is your strip?

I finally bought the material for a floral log cabin. However in looking at patterns, I see some people use 1.5 and some use 2.5. Help! My hand is going for the cutter, but don't know what to do. What size is your strip for log cabin and why?
    Thanks!
    Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM

1.5 strips makes the quilt a bit heavy, yet I love the look of it. I use 2" as I feel 2.5 is just a bit bigger then I like.
    Best of luck to you. If I was you I'd make one of each and see which one you like.
    Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM

I would l0ve the 1.5, but really depends on what you like to see. Do you have a 2", use a two inch would be perfect. There is much more sewing and more cutting with the smaller sizes. So whatever you feel like what you want to do. Go for it and have fun. Should be beautiful
    Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

For log cabins I use 1.5" unfinished, 1" finished, but you can make it with larger strips. You can also mix strip sizes. To make a rounded look across the light/dark portions, use a slightly smaller log for the lights than for the darks (or vice versa). For my avatar quilt, for instance, I use 1" finished strips for the dark logs and .5" finished strips for the light ones. Barnbum has done the same in some of her floral log cabin quilts.
    Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

i like wider stripes on larger quilts. will use smaller stripes on smaller quilts. anything goes. just enjoy the process
    Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 AM

i would use scraps and do a couple sample blocks in the different sizes. I did a log cabin out of 2.5 strips and I think they are two big I'm going to do another one soon I have decided to do 2 inch because i prefer 1 1/2 unfinished but I don't have enough fabric. I'm using fat quarter sets I bought 8 years ago.
    I personally think the 2.5 inch logs leave too much open space. When I decided on the quilting which is a a block design with hearts and feathers it's a pink and cream colored log cabin, It's a lot of open space for the design I picked. So I'm going to have to modify the quilting design which is why the top is still sitting there unquilted.
    Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 AM
    Power Poster

it depends on what size finished block you want to make, how many rounds you want and what YOU like.
    for me- i generally do not like 2 1/2" strips for logcabins---unless i am making a huge block (18" or larger)
    so my strips tend to be 1", 1 1/2", 1 3/4"...once in a while 2"...i just like the design with more rounds and thinner strips-
    but it is a personal decision- what YOU like & how big you want your blocks-how many rounds you want-
    Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 AM

I used 2 inch strips (1 1/2 finished) in my floral log cabin. I love how it turned out. Do what you like. Make a sample block. As Alicat said enjoy the process.
    Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM

I prefer the smaller strips for log cabins...but that is a personal preference. You can use whatever size strips you like. Log cabins are one of my favorite quilts! I think the wider strips get a bit too "chunky" but maybe for a larger quilt, that is the look you would want.
    Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 AM
    BMP

Originally Posted by alikat110
    i like wider stripes on larger quilts. will use smaller stripes on smaller quilts. anything goes. just enjoy the process
    Yep perportion of the what you are making !!