Should I tell my husband?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Should I tell my husband?

For Christmas I bought for me a Singer Featherweight 75 from HSN. I had a coupon for 20% off and it was on sale with free shipping, so I only paid $212 total. I bought a Pfaff stretch and Jeans used from my repair man for $200 and love it for heavy stuff. Two week ago my Singer went crazy and wouldn't sew just tangle bobbin thread and make a mess after a couple of inches of sewing. So I went back to my repair man and bought a Pfaff 1540 for $400. Today I pulled out the Singer just to see if I could get it to sew long enough to sell it. After a while I realized the bobbin looked funny and wasn't setting right. I took it out and realized it was not the right bobbin for the machine. This bobbin came with the machine, by the way, opened a new pack I bought for the machine, the machine works perfect. So now I have 3 machines all bought in the last 6 months. Should I spill or keep it my little secret?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM

I tend to always be honest and tell. Then I remind him: I am not high maintenance (he agrees), I splurge only on my quilting and gardening (agree) and it's my way of staying sane. Sane me, happy him. And we each contribute so get to spend.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM

We tend to go with the don't ask don't tell system. I would not lie but I don't always open my mouth either.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Why would your husband even need to know this. You haven't spent as much money on three machines as some stitchers spend on one. Now you have a heavy duty stay at home machine, a machine to take out to classes and a spare. It sounds good to me.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
I tend to always be honest and tell. Then I remind him: I am not high maintenance (he agrees), I splurge only on my quilting and gardening (agree) and it's my way of staying sane. Sane me, happy him. And we each contribute so get to spend.
That pretty much describes me too. I just feel so dumb, but I do love all my machines.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I tell but do not get the same courtesy back from DH. Maybe tell since it seems to be on your mind.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM

I would say something.

Why keep it a secret? I never will understand how some women feel the need to lie about such things.

Makes me wonder what other secrets one is willing to keep hidden.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 04-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM

My husband would be right there helping me pick a machine out. As a matter of fact he picked out my last one.

And is on the decision on my mid arm I am going to get for my birthday in November. It's always good to have an extra set of eyes and ears and a brain when making such choices. He often goes with me to pick out fabric or hanging out in my sewing room when I need help deciding fabric placement on my design wall.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools. I do not contribute to the family finances, but I do contribute to the family. My husband and I have a system that works well for us. If I know for a fact that we have the money to spare then I will purchase something and then tell him how much I spent. That way, he doesn't have a cow when he realizes that say $25 disappered from our checking account. And as for machines, he tends to purchase those for me. My DH bought me a machine as a Christmas present last year. If he buys it for me, then as far as I'm concerned, I still have money to spend. LOL. But no, honestly I am not high maintance. I'm content purchasing clothes for myself at our local ministry center. Why? Because I wear kids clothes and don't like a lot of the newer styles of shorts and things. Also, I don't like trying on clothes in the kids department of a lot of stores, I get funny looks. And, the money that the ministry center gets for the items they sell goes to help the needy in the community. It funds their food bank, and helps elderly people or disadvantaged people pay for prescriptions or help with their utility bills. IMHO, it's a win win situation. So, since I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, and only wear make up on special occasions, and am not a fan of the local beauty shop, my DH and I agree that I'm very low maintance. However, I do require a few things...coffee, fabric, thread, needles, plants (especially vegetable plants),rulers, pretty papers, pens, markers, and a printer. My main hobbies are scrapbooking and quilting. And my DH agrees that he is more high maintance than I am. His hobbies include collecting movies, and guitars as well as painting, drawing, and doing genealogy. And my gardening hobby saves us money on groceries so that gives me more money to spend on "other" things.

Last edited by flhomeschoolmom; 04-06-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM

If it is on you mind why not go ahead and tell him about it. My husband has never been one to care about how our money gets spent. If he wants something specific then we decide if we can afford it. When I inherited a rather large some of money I bought him a set of drums for his birthday. It was around $8,000.00. I had been wanting a new good machine and went looking, ended up buying a $2,000.00 machine, table and a few accessories. Felt rather silly about spending so much since I had 2 good machines but nothing that would do any fancy stitches. He thought it was great that I would spend money on myself. I had no trouble spending it on him and our 2 daughters - but second guess spending much on me. Then there was the incident of buying 3 featherweights within 2 weeks when I didn't know how to remove a bid on ShopGoodwill.com and Ebay. Luckily I got them for very good prices, I was so thrilled to get the first one and hoped I would get outbid on the other 2, but didn't. Was hoping my daughters would each take one - but neither one wants one. So taking one to WA for my sister in June.

So as long as the rest of your family is not suffering from spending the extra money, he will more than likely laugh over the bobbin fiasco and realize you now have another back-up. Or use it for a trade in later when you are ready for an up-grade.