Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Makes an Ideal Backing Fabric-small scale or lrg scale print, light or dark? >

What Makes an Ideal Backing Fabric-small scale or lrg scale print, light or dark?

What Makes an Ideal Backing Fabric-small scale or lrg scale print, light or dark?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Default What Makes an Ideal Backing Fabric-small scale or lrg scale print, light or dark?

I am new to quilting and was wondering what makes a more ideal backing fabric? I was thinking medium to large scale print in medium to light tone but wanted to see what quilters who have made several quilts think.

I am thinking of a backing for a quilt that will be quilted in a "less is more" style (basic straight lines or gentle meander). I have seen a lot of solid backings in white or cream but I don't really prefer this (I know from seeing some spectacular pictures, that the solid light fabric really shows off the beautiful and intricate quilting--however, I see these quilts as being more simple in style).
Old 04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Anything goes!!

If you want to have the quilting show, yes, a plain back is better ... though it does not have to be light. You can choose a thread to help it show.

If you want to disguise the quilting on the back (eg. it doesn't always look good from the back!) ... a print will help to do the trick! Large, medium or small ... your choice!

And too, some use leftovers from the front, to create a scrappy back. Or a few extra blocks leftover from the front worked into the back can be nice!

It's really a matter of what you want and prefer ... like most of quilting, there's no rules!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Many times I use muslim for my back, unless I want to make the quilt reversable...then I use a print.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

it depends on the quilt top-
i generally use some sort of print- or mottled fabric- sometimes i dye my own backing to get what i want- i've used panals, i've made whole new big block quilts for the back- i've used stripes, plaids, florals----what ever catches my eye & seems to me to be the perfect choice for the back of this quilt- there are no rules- it is up to you to use what you like for the quilt you are making.
one thing is ---solids will show every stitch- prints will help hide any small errors- so if you are fairly new to quilting a print of some sort will be more (forgiving) a solid will show everything.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

i have used anything from plain muslin to fully coordinated fabrics. your quilt, your choice!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Yes, anything really does go! If you like it, use it....no rules!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM

I agree with the others....anything goes, that's what makes quilting so much fun. Because I'm still a novice at FMQ, I use an all over print with the background color to match the quilt top so I can use the same color thread in bobbin and needle. If I use different colors, sometimes the threads appear on top or the bottom.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM

I think it has alot to do with the type of top and how you will quilt it. I like fabric that is light and little pattern if I am sending it out for quilting..as I want to see all the beautiful quilting stitches. If its something I will quilt myself and I am not so confident on my quilting or its not anything outstanding planned for the quilting , I use a print with colors from the top for my backing fabric. I do try to stay within the style... traditional, contemporary ..But large scale prints make fabulous backings as you can see all of the print.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
i have used anything from plain muslin to fully coordinated fabrics. your quilt, your choice!!!
Ditto!! Use what you want to - I use plain muslin at times and sometimes a color that coordinates with the colors in the top.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 AM

Yep, it is your preference. I prefer to put planned over/leftover blocks and make a pieced back with any left over fabric from making the top.

ali