Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It never fails!! >

It never fails!!

It never fails!!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Default It never fails!!

......darn it! With every quilt I make I find that my seam ripper wants to come out and play! I just finished a queen sized tshirt quilt for my son's best friend who has been diagnosed with cancer. We decided to put minky on the back as a way of hopefully adding just a little bit more comfort into his daily life as he fights this monster called cancer. I've used minky on the back of my quilts before so its nothing new, but last night as I was laying out the top and back together on the floor (just to make sure there was enough extra for the quilter to be able to get pinned on the rack) I noticed that when I sewed my two pieces of minky backing together I had the nap going opposite directions. I was so thrilled to be able to get it to the quilter today that my thought was to just let it go as is.....it's gonna be a utility quilt and it won't be that big of a deal. Let me tell you! It gnawed at me all night.....I lost sleep just having it in the back of my mind! I put so much time into this quilt to make it just right for him and no way can I let it go like that! I decided to not walk out the door with it this morning and when I get home from work this evening, I'll take the two pieces apart and correct the nap issue. I'll feel better when I give him the quilt knowing that it will be right! I'll just have to take it to my quilter over the weekend instead! Isn't it funny how these things just eat us up inside until we make it right?!!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Yes, doggone it! I used to make my slacks and i'd invariably turn corduroy wrong. Have one side shiny and other one dull. Good thing you found it before you took to quilter.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM

He would have loved it anyway, but you will sleep better knowing you gave him your best! I toss and turn all nite redoing projects in my mind...with all that work, you would think they would be finished the next morning, but no, it is still waiting for me. I hope the quilter can put it at the top of the list and finish quick for you. Linda
Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You'll be happy you fixed the boo boo. I always do, even if it takes me forever to do so. And I bet it will take a while to rip out the minky. Good luck and you are a nice gal to go to all that work for a young man going through a rough battle. I know that quilt will be a godsend to him.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Thanks ladies! Jeanne, I'm thinking I may just rotary cut right next to the seam. I think I have enough extra to just do that. I don't like ripping out seams on minky either!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm glad to know that others do the same thing I do - obsess. I bet you'll be happier doing it over. And note my signature line - I quilt with a seam ripper always close by.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Ah, and so the minky saga continues....I just finished one for my new great niece last night...quilted it on the long arm; pulled it off, and it looks like I quilted it on an elastic backing. That's right, an ELASTIC backing! I pulled it too tight on the LA...so be forewarned, be careful! What kicks me is that I KNEW not to pull it too tight, and I did it anyway!
Oh well, she gets a new one, and the pup shelter gets a nice soft one...I'm like you all, it takes too long to frog a minky...so, lesson (painfully) learned...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Yes, you just can't ignore those irritating thoughts to fix something.