Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing off of Printed Treasures--How to ? ? ? >

Backing off of Printed Treasures--How to ? ? ?

Backing off of Printed Treasures--How to ? ? ?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Backing off of Printed Treasures--How to ? ? ?

I have photos printed on to Printed Treasures fabric and am having a hard time getting the backing off in one piece without little bits sticking to the fabric. I've used Printed Treasures before & have not had this kind of a problem. It is very annoying.

The backing tears leaving bits & pieces on the fabric. The only way I can get them off is by either trying to scrape with a fingermail or rub with a finger. Both are very time-consuming & hard on my arthritic hands. I've been afraid to heat with an iron or wet the fabric. Has anyone used either method? If so, how did it work? Although I wash my quilts when they're completed, I'm concerned that may leave little lumps (or something) between the layers of fabric.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make this easier?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM

I agree, it's very annoying! I rinse them in cold water and peel the little bits off while still wet. Then I let air dry and press, covering the picture with a press cloth.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks, Katier825. I'll try that. I was afraid to heat or wet it until I'd heard from someone who'd tried it.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM

I too wet the sheets -- it is the most unsatisfactory part of Printed Treasures.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Ladies let Milliken in Spartanburg SC know about this problem since this is their fabric.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM

I wet the fabric also, and rub off the backing that I could not pull off. Even with wetting the fabric and really rubbing, I do not always get all of the backing off. It is very frustrating; but I love the beautiful quilt labels I make with the fabric so the results are worth the hassle.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've never heard of Printed Treasures fabric. What is it?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Marye,
I sent an e-mail to Printed Treasures yesterday re: the problem. I haven't heard back yet. I'll let you all know what they have to say.

jcrow,
Printed Treasures is a pre-treated backed piece of fabric for printing images off the computer. I used it for printing photos for a memory quilt. It does not run when washed and holds color better than a couple I've used.

Last edited by gramajo; 05-01-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

I had the same frustration and I bought the big pack, lots of $$$...I found that it works best for me if I let the color set for a while, then turn upside down on a piece of muslin & heat the backing with the iron. Once you get a corner started and heat as you go, it comes right off no problem. I do the cold running water process after I take the backing off and let air dry before pressing flat. Works every time!