Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks >

Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks

Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks

Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Default Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks

Serial number AD 353606, mfg 15 Apr 1931. I picked her up today along with one box of Singer attachments, another box of what I think is Singer slant attachments and a Singer buttonholer in a green plastic box. The damaged case that my Old Junk Collector Guy described was actually a cabinet, #40 I believe. And, of course, the top has peeling veneer. By summer's end I may be an expert at doing veneer work as almost every cabinet I have needs some work.

Somewhere the OJCG lost the manual, AAARRRG, but I will find one online. The major problem is that the wiring from the motor was cut but likely should be replaced anyway. Another problem is that the spool pin is sheered off level with the arm. I may have to add tapping dies to my tool collection as that may be the only way to remove the spool pin. I was reading one page of the manual online and it stated that that spool pin is to be removed to lube the gears in the head. Interesting.

The ISMACS site says that the decal design is called Knots and Rectangles and they are really in good shape.

And, what about the underneath??? That is truly remarkable. Does any other Singer machine have that configuration? I have a feeling I've got a lot to learn when I start cleaning and fixing this one.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-06-singer-101-015.jpg   2012-05-06-singer-101-014.jpg   2012-05-06-singer-101-019.jpg   2012-05-07-singer-101-001.jpg  

Last edited by Caroline S; 05-07-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 AM

Nice machine. Please keep us udated. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Wow. The bottom of that sure is different! I've never seen one like it before. Hopefully your OJCG will find the manual for you. That's a cool machine!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 AM

Kool machine---I will be eager to see how it progresses!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 AM

Caroline,

Nice project you've got. I like it. Never seen one in person, would love to though.

From your pic it looks as if there's a wee bit of a stump left of the spool pin, if it unscrews you might use a chisel to make a notch in it and turn it out. If there is enough of a stump you might cut a slot into it with a Dremel tool.
If it truely is flush and and you can't turn it out with out risking damage to the top of the machine you'll need a tiny drill bit and an E-Z Out to remove it.
Those spool pins are not hardened steel, but they aren't soft either.

Another thing, if you have to drill it, I'd pull the motor and put something in there to catch the metal bits. I'd be positively paranoid about getting them in the gears.

Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 AM

I tried grabbing the what is left of the spool pin with small pair of needle nose pliers, didn't work. I've got the drill and tiny bits so it is off to the hardware store for an E-Z out. Whoo Hoo something new for the tool box. And I might look at a Dremel tool also. Yep, Mother's Day and Birthday in the same month so I will make sure I remember me.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM

I guess I was lucky, my spool pin was sheared off below the top of the machine, but the impact that broke it also "broke it loose" and the tip of a pencil was all it took to thread it out. if you are going to dril it, be sure to file it flat first, and use a center punch to get a mark. more damage is done with easy outs and drill bits than you can imagine. IF you have a good tool store, buy a left handed drill bit, one that cuts spinning in reverse, sometimes that is enough to back the "stub" out. WHATEVER you do, to not apply much force to an easy out.... if you snap that off in there your life will get very ugly. They ARE hardened and undrillable.

good luck, I too am very interested in the model 101.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I guess I was lucky, my spool pin was sheared off below the top of the machine, but the impact that broke it also "broke it loose" and the tip of a pencil was all it took to thread it out. if you are going to dril it, be sure to file it flat first, and use a center punch to get a mark. more damage is done with easy outs and drill bits than you can imagine. IF you have a good tool store, buy a left handed drill bit, one that cuts spinning in reverse, sometimes that is enough to back the "stub" out. WHATEVER you do, to not apply much force to an easy out.... if you snap that off in there your life will get very ugly. They ARE hardened and undrillable.

good luck, I too am very interested in the model 101.
Thanks for the advice Dan. We have a very good tool department and a good tool man at my favorite hardware store. I am going to take some close up pics of the broken off spool pin and take them with me when I go to buy what I think I need to remove the spool pin.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I've had several machines that were missing the pins, and one with a bent one. Looked like they dropped the machine on it's side and the spool pin got bent too. I was able to straighten that one. Never had a broken one. I can't imagine what they did to break it off.

And what Dan said about being very careful with the E-Z Out is absolutely true. They are very hard. And the small ones like you'll need are very easy to break.
It probably won't take much effort to back the stump out but be careful.

Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Got the broken spool pin stub out

I took a real good look that broken off spool pin today. I noticed that it had an itty bitty edge sticking up. So I got my smallest pair of needle nose pliers out and was able to grab that nub and turn the spool pin and remove it. It is/was a threaded spool pin. Of course, I don't have any of those so will have to order one. ​Posting a pic for you all to look at.

Thought you would like to see the potted motor with the cover off.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-08-more-singer-101-001.jpg   2012-05-08-more-singer-101-004.jpg   2012-05-08-more-singer-101-003.jpg  

Last edited by Caroline S; 05-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.