Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks >

Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks

Here is the Singer 101-4 Folks

Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Caroline,

I'm pleased as punch that broken piece came out without any trouble.

The inside of that motor looks weird. Like maybe there's something missing. There's usually a second bearing on the shaft and that one doesn't seem to have one. Never seen the inside of one before so I'm just thinking out loud. My wife tells me I shouldn't do that. I get headaches when I do.

Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Nice, glad that the pin came out! Get her cleaned up and let us see her sew!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Question

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Nice, glad that the pin came out! Get her cleaned up and let us see her sew!
Well I have the electrical part to deal with. The wires from the motor have been severed. This machine came in it's original cabinet with a knee control. I am posting a picture of the interior of the cabinet and may take some more tomorrow if you want to see more. I am going to call the OSMG that my DD knows tomorrow and pick his brain or even better, for me anyway, see what he will charge to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-06-singer-101-020.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Caroline,

I'm pleased as punch that broken piece came out without any trouble.

The inside of that motor looks weird. Like maybe there's something missing. There's usually a second bearing on the shaft and that one doesn't seem to have one. Never seen the inside of one before so I'm just thinking out loud. My wife tells me I shouldn't do that. I get headaches when I do.

Joe
Quit thinking about this one Joe. This was the first Singer electric with a potted motor and gears. It's a whole different animal. I ordered a manual for it today. Usually I can figure out how to "fix" and "operate" a normal sewing machine. This one is my first "abnormal".
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Thank you for rescuing this fine, old, machine. It will be lovely. Please keep us advised with pictures please.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Good luck with getting that nice old machine going. Love more pictures after you are done making it prettier
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Hello Caroline, I also have one of these odd ball machines ,it is the machine in my avatar. the oil is in a small pan in the bottom of this machine ,it is wicked to oil the machine. and it is a good machine it sews a perfict stitch and is easy to use. could you please send me the place where you found the manuel. i could not use the knee part of it was missing ,so we put the foot control on it it runs just fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Caroline, I will try to down load some pictures on thursday afternoon, my computer crashed on monday i just bought a new one and trying to get use to it, Dottie Bug, there are some photo s in the vintqage thread but i dont know what the pages are ,
Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 AM

Default 101 Update

My DD found another OSMG to work on her first Singer 29-4 patch machine and her Elna 7300. So I decided that rather mess with the motor and electrical connections myself on the 101 I would take it to him for the repairs. He quoted me $55 to service and repair/fix the electrical connections. As far as I was concerned that was a done deal. I hate messing with anything electrical because I was almost electrocuted when I was a kid.

What a character he is. If anyone has a mental idea as to what an OSMG looks like, then this guy is it. As he was looking over the machine head and cabinet, he kept saying OK, OK, hmmm, hmmm, easy easy. Just like a doctor, but better, he can fix my sewing machine!

Then he had a couple of "Singer Bibles" that he kept referencing. I did not want to get tooo pushy and ask him what those Singer books were (for once I had to restrain myself) as it was the first time he was doing repairs for me. I am thinking, to myself of course, that I really NEED, really WANT, some of those Singer reference books. I am hoping that when I go to pick up my sewing machine that I can look at those books, and he may have some others laying around that he would part with. He used to have his own sewing and vacuum store and now does work out of his house.

Then he began telling me that he has a whole addition built on the back of his house full of old machines and stuff that had been in his store. Gave me goose bumps. Again I had to restrain myself to not show my excitement. I felt like a racehorse at the starting gate, I was rearing to go and go see this stuff. Can't you just see me chomping on the bit? But I will do that when I pick up the 101. He and his wife have sewing machines stuffed all over the place. Then his wife mentioned that she has SEVERAL 301s that she might part with. Yikes, I want at least one. Will wait till the next visit to get serious about her 301s.

As another note, my DD took her Elna 7300 Quilting Queen Pro to him because after paying over $200 to have it serviced and repaired at another place two months ago ( I posted a thread about the service cost a couple of months ago on the QB) the sewing machine was still not operating properly. He charged her $55 but it now works. And he found that it still needed cleaning underneath and even found a broken sewing machine needle in the underneath. Makes one wonder about the Quality of the work of the first repair shop.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
Hello Caroline, I also have one of these odd ball machines ,it is the machine in my avatar. the oil is in a small pan in the bottom of this machine ,it is wicked to oil the machine. and it is a good machine it sews a perfict stitch and is easy to use. could you please send me the place where you found the manuel. i could not use the knee part of it was missing ,so we put the foot control on it it runs just fine.
I found a copy of the manual at SEWUSA.com. I will be looking for an original manual also. I rather like buying the repro manuals because the printing is larger and easier on my eyes. But I also like having an original manual to go with the sewing machine.