Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric overload >

Fabric overload

Fabric overload

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Fabric overload

Now, I know some people will have no sympathy for me at all, but bear with me...

I love fabric. LOVE fabric. But I have almost reached burn out. I am an assistant coordinator for my local Project Linus, and we frequently get donations of fabric. The coordinator is a knitter, so she has no interest in fabric, so it all comes to me (lucky me!).

Recently, we got a whole bunch from a lady who was "downsizing" her stash. Her daughter and son-in-law brought me about 10 big plastic totes of fabric that she had purged out of her stash -- of 80 totes!

It was really interesting seeing some of the older patterns. There was some from the late 70's and early 80's, as well as more recent stuff. I always separate out the cottons, specifically the child-suitable stuff. Unfortunately, no matter how much I try to explain that we only want fabric suitable for making kids' quilts, I always get a lot of upholstery weight and apparel fabric. I always take it cheerfully, though, and pass it along to other charity groups.

My problem is that I pull out everything I think I would possibly use, wash it, and iron it. It destroys my sewing room and kills my productivity. Takes forever to get it all ironed, especially when they are big pieces (great for backings) that get twisted in the wash and dryer and are that much harder to iron.

I finally got everything squared away, and this week we got another big donation from the husband of a quilter who had passed away. Now, of course I can't say no to fabric. I simply can't. But after driving to go get it, I spent about six hours sorting through it all. There was a lot of good stuff, I won't lie, but probably 75% of it is moving on.

I look at the fabric I kept out and I am too tired to even think about sewing. How sad is that.

I do intend to try to sell some of it on the board to bring in some funds for our PL chapter. I'd like to get this fabric into the hands of people who can use it, especially for charity quilts.

All through the sorting I kept thinking about the woman who left this stash. I tried to send her appreciative thoughts and let her know I liked her taste in fabric. Then I tried not to think about someone who might have to sort through my stash some day, lol.

Definitely need to move some of my fabric along!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Thank you for all your hard work sorting, washing and especially ironing all that fabric. The quilts that are made from that fabric will be appreciated and enjoyed. Kudos for all your hard work.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM

Venting is good, gets us motivated to move on and get something done. The reverse side of attitude of gratitude can be difficult to overcome. Now you can get with it and enjoy making some Linus quilts! Have fun!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Is there anyone who could help you with all the sorting, washing , etc. ? it does seem like a lot of work for one person
Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 AM

I know what you mean about using all your energy for PL and nothing left for yourself. Perhaps there is someone(s) that can help you with the sorting, washing and ironing...it's a lot more fun and a lot less work if there is more than 1 person doing all the work...

Diannia
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like you need an assistant! I don't blame you for feeling overwhelmed, It makes me tired just thinking about it. It is a great charity work you are doing but make sure to take time for yourself and your own quilting. You will get burned out if you continue at this pace. Sending you a hug ()
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Personally, the pieces that I didn't put in my stash would not get the washer treatment even the stuff I was selling. Also, to cut down on time I would have a basket that collected the need to iron pieces and just do it once a week or so. And just iron for a certain amount of time even if I didn't get it all done. I also have been know to fold and store then iron as I need it. If I felt overwhelmed enough I would pass it on without sorting..... but that is the hardest to do LOL!

Good luck on finding a solution, I know how time consuming our projects are other than sitting at the sewing machine. My problem has always been the computer. This week I was updating my Artfire site..... 1 1/2 days GONE.... today I am going to sit in my room!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

My DH made a comment about my stash one day that has stuck with me. He said why not let the quilt shop store your fabric and you go get it when you need it? Why bring it all home? LOL. I have cut down on my fabric stashing. I found less is better to get more quilts made.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM

I agree with a few points made above:

1. wash only the stuff you plan on keeping. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts when the other organizations receive fabrics, they wash them too, so it's probable the fabrics are being washed multiple times.
2. delegate! ask for volunteers. If you struggle to find anyone to help, maybe make it an event or party with a couple of snacks, drinks, and silly little door prizes from the dollar store. If it becomes a fun social activity instead of a boring chore, you will end up with lots of "helpers".
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree with a few points made above:

1. wash only the stuff you plan on keeping. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts when the other organizations receive fabrics, they wash them too, so it's probable the fabrics are being washed multiple times.
2. delegate! ask for volunteers. If you struggle to find anyone to help, maybe make it an event or party with a couple of snacks, drinks, and silly little door prizes from the dollar store. If it becomes a fun social activity instead of a boring chore, you will end up with lots of "helpers".
I second that! Take time for yourself too.