My quest for FW

Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 PM

You know you are a true addict when you have to keep a spreadsheet for your vintage sewing machines and you have to put labels on the cases and cabinets so you know what you have. I am hopelessly addicted.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM

I now have 10 vintage machines, and I am also hopelessly addicted. I don't mind admitting it.... I have a Featherweight, and have had it for about 1 year. It is sitting in it's case nice and snug under my quilting machine frame. I use my 301a almost exclusively for piecing, but plan on using my treadles for that soon. It's gonna be hard to switch, because I do LOVE my 301a. I have a few true antique machines, which I love and am so happy to have. I don't sew on them right now, as I only have a few bobbins and needles to fit, and don't want to use them. So, they are pretty much just part of the collection for their age/looks.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Hmmm let's see...

I did fairly well for quite awhile. I've owned my FW for 40 years, my Mom's 403 for 5 years and then I found this group...and in the last 12 months I have bought:

1891 Singer VS2
1915 Singer 66 Redeye
1950's Morse Fotomatic

It's not looking too good. I'm hooked. I browse Craigslist everyday, Shop Goodwill & Ebay at least once a week, my brother goes to yard sales & estate sales & keeps an eye out for me.

Resistance is futile!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM

I too have lots of antique singers, I had a yard sale at my daughters a couple weeks ago , and a man was there talking about buying for resale and i ask if he ever gets any old vintage black singer machines. He said as a matter of fact I have one at home now I can go get it and let you see it. He said you might not want it because it is a very small machine I said what kind of case is it in, and he said a small little black case. By this time I was getting very interested. I couldn't believe my eyes when he came back with it. A FEATHER WEIGHT that looked almost new , decals perfect. I had to bring it home and put it beside my other FW and about nine other machines . 66 redeye I found for $56.00, 99's And the list goes go. Call me addicted if you like but i just can't pass them up ,the good thing is my husband helps me look for them.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Well,

I have denied being addicted to vintage machines! Unfortunately, I started looking at what I have, and I have NOTHING BUT VINTAGE MACHINES! LOL! So, I guess I'm also an addict to vintage machines!(I have eight!)LOL! My cousin in Arkansas has my great-grandmother's treadle machine, so she's going to take pictures of it. I promised her I would try to help her restore/rejuvenate the machine. She'd love to have it working! Since my son worked as a sewing machine mechanic for 14 years, we can afford to lend a hand!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM
sap

I have over 50 vintage sewing machines (electric) 4 treadles, n 3 hand cranks. Still don't have enough. I enjoy cleaning them up and donating them to women's shelters.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
You know you are a true addict when you have to keep a spreadsheet for your vintage sewing machines and you have to put labels on the cases and cabinets so you know what you have. I am hopelessly addicted.
Yep, me too on the spreadsheet, I also have 3x5 cards that I write stuff down on as I "check them in" and discover what they need.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl View Post
in the last 12 months I have bought:

1891 Singer VS2
1915 Singer 66 Redeye
1950's Morse Fotomatic
Everything in my sig except the Singer 498 was purchased in the last 12 months . Currently on 20 machines and yes I have them in a spreadsheet. Was going to go to a database but that would be silly ;-)

It's one machine less from this afternoon (sold the 221 centennial) but there's a beautiful redeye 66 in a six drawer cabinet in the back of the car, waiting for tomorrow when someone's coming to get my 319 in cabinet. Only then can I can get it into the house! It's the cabinets that fill the house, not the portables or heads.

Still monitoring classifieds and eBay because it's still fun!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM

I thought the 12 step program was: Acquire, not necessarily in order, a 301, 201, 99, 15-91, 221, 15 Clone, Wilson and Gibbs, a Redeye treadle ...... and so on. No one said we had to stop at 12.