Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Hi
What is a good source on how to do appliqué ? What have you found is the best way for you?
Also, Appliqué Patterns would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 AM

Click here: Applique Basics

Click here: How To Applique (Tutorial on Appliqueing, page 1) Here are a couple of how to sites, if you need more you can PM me, also there are a lot of patterns out there. I haven't been appliqueing that long but have been collecting a long time. So let me know, good luck. Maybe someone will have more info than I have.

Rita
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...ltingfour.html
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 AM

If you want a good DVD on how to do freezer paper Applique, I suggest investing in the one put out by www.P3designs.com (Pearl P. Periera). She has an excellent descriptive way of showing exactly how to do this technique and it is probably one of the more popular techniques out there today other than needleturn.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 AM

I taught myself. I have my own way of doing it. I don't use freezer paper or anything, just Lite Heat N Bond to put it on the fabric, then machine stitch around it.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM

I think it is a personal preference to what and which way works for an individual. I have tried several...and, I mean 'Many!' different ways to applique. I have to say I find the best method that I enjoy the most and seem to get the shapes perfect with is the freezer paper w/needle turn.

Here's how...
*Trace your pattern on the dull side of freezer paper-cut it out -on the line.
*Iron this freezer paper shape to the backside of the fabric. (shiny side on the fabric)
*Cut around shape leaving your 1/4" around the shape w/fabric.
*Clip any serious curves or points, like what would be inside the arm of a star. Clip almost to the edge of the paper.
*Iron 1/4" seam allowance over the freezer paper (I love to steam mine here!)
*Place pieces in order on your backing (this is where I LOVE my applique pins!)
*Then come up w/needle and thread (w/a knot in end)thru the backing and the very edge of your pattern. Then sneak the needle ever-so-slightly back under the edge of the pattern of where you just came up (only thru the backing and slightly 'under' the pattern shape)Then come back up and continue this 'blind hem' stitch. You can pull the thread gently when to the top w/a stitch and it will hide your stitches on the side.
Hope this helps! And, I do hope you wanted to know how to 'hand' applique:)If not...I just wrote a book for something:)

Machine...can do the same only use a blind hem (my favorite) on the machine. Difficult shapes that I plan on using the machine to applique, I might use some glue to hold the shape under (elmer's washable is great!)
Skeat

Go check out 'Bunny Hill Designs' for a freebie BOM...so cute! And, free!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Also, what is great about freezer paper is that you can re-use and re-use many, many times a shape you have ironed with. Loved that stuff:)
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM

I have done the freezer paper and the needle turn, have not done anything with steam a seam, nor have I done any machine applique. I love the hand portion of applique, although I am not that good at it. Out of the two I like the freezer paper the best, its the easier of the two. But I am so shocked, I was thinking of using the iron on as a placer only. I thoght I was just out in left field with that thought. But was going to use it instead of basting everything. Thank you so much for telling me I am not stupid for thinking of doing that and that it works woo hoo.... I love to do applique and am even thinking of doing tops totally hand. The piecing and everything. Thats how much I like the hand sewing. Again anyone behind me lined up to check out my sanity???? I am afraid to look. :lol: :oops:

Thank you for helping me out.

Rita
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 AM

I do the Terri- way, heat n bond and stitch around.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 AM

foxxigrani, I am also a needle turn applique hand person. I love making most of my quilts and things by hand. It is much easier to manipulate the fabric by hand.
Just my way of doing things. I use templates and then draw a pencil line where the fold should be and then fold the small seam in and stitch. I find it much less fiddly than freezer paper and then you have the foldingline there and it cannot move.