Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to hide finished edges inside my purse >

how to hide finished edges inside my purse

how to hide finished edges inside my purse

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Default how to hide finished edges inside my purse

I have always sewed rag style bags but I recently made a purse. I didnt realize how bad the inside would look with the exposed edges. So I wonder if I could just sew a biding around them? It would have to be really small and Im not sure how to do it exactly. Does anyone know a link to help with this? or just explain it easily? Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Hmmm I suppose you could sew a binding around the raw edges. I probably would have lined the purse - is it too late for that? There are a lot of threads and tutorials here about how to make purses, but I don't know if any of them show how what you're wanting to do.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM

I agree with Peckish that a lining is a good way to hide the raw edges. I have made many bags and that is the way most of the instructions say to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 AM

I actually have a few purse patterns that call for binding to hide the inside seam. It can be quite tricky but it's a much nicer finish than a liner. When I first made them I thought I wouldn't like them and that they wouldn't sell as well as the others. But actually they sold better and held their shape much better than the lined bags. Even after washed the bag still looked good. The binding almost acted as a frame inside the purse. Glue basting(water soluable) both sides of the binding in place helped to get accurate placing for sewing. Also if theres curve to the bag make sure that you use bias binding method with your seams at an angle. Using a 16 needle helps with the bulk and a heavier thread to add strength. With the bulkier seams you may need to adjust your presser foot presser as you would for jeans. Taking a hammer to the heavy seams also helps as long as you use it lightly, pounding like you are hammering nails will damage the fibers but a few light taps makes helps the seam to lay flatter and the stitches look much nicer .
Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

I've made purses that use French seams so the inside seams are finished. Probably won't help you now, but if you make any more you could try this.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 AM

I'd line it and even put a few pockets in the lining.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

A serger/overlocking machine is helpful in finishing off the ragged edges - if you have one.