picture

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Default picture

would like to post picture of antique sewing machine. But not sure how to do it. can any one help please. I think I just figured it out the cabbinet is in bad shape it is a eldredge twoo spool on plate it has H 1892 not sure if that was year it was made or not would like more info can any one tell me where to get some info on this machine an maybe some where to see if cabbnet is fixable
Attached Thumbnails antic-sewing-machine-006.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM

It is beautiful. I am new to this (owning a vintage machine) so I will look forward to what the "experts" here tell you about your machine!!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 AM

robinA,

I can't tell you too much about the machine, other than I hope it was out of the water and didn't get rusted up.

The cabinet and iron base has sat in water for a time and will need major attention. I can see the water has broken the glue bond on much of the cabinet. IF you are going to repair the cabinet, you can plan on taking it apart and repairing or recreating each piece one at a time, then reassembling it. Most likely a complete refinish will be needed as well.
Do not loose any of the pieces that are falling off, if they can't be reused they will be patterns for replacement parts.

You have a big project ahead of you with the cabinet. I really hope the machine escaped the water.

Joe
Old 09-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Congrats on acquiring a major project. An Eldredge Two Spool is on my wish list. One of the most important things to look for is the spool can/case that holds the thread. If yours is missing the spool can that is major as they are hard to find. The Two Spool sewing machines did not use bobbins. Also if you do not have a manual you may find one at this link http://www.tias.com/stores/relics/.

I have an original manual for an Eldredge Two Spool that I found stored up and inside a cabinet. The only thing that preserved the manual is that it was soaked in old sewing machine oil. It is very fragile and very smelly so I keep it in a zip lock bag.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Congrats on owning a Two Spools. I do hope your have the spool can, which holds a spool of thread instead of using a bobbin. this is a link to what the spool can looks like: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t179788.html

If you don't have all the parts to the treadle (I can't tell from your photo there) and you don't feel like working on that cabinet and treadle, you could use a Singer treadle with some alterations to the top to hold the Two spools machine. I had to do that with my first Two Spools since I didn't have a treadle for it. Here is the link to directions and photos of how I converted a Singer treadle to fit a Two Spools. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t130940.html

I use my Two Spools for piecing since it has the perfect 1/4' foot along with the feed dogs that have the exact same length of teeth that help in feeding the material through at the same time.