Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to buy inexpensive machine for classes and retreats >

Want to buy inexpensive machine for classes and retreats

Want to buy inexpensive machine for classes and retreats

Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Want to buy inexpensive machine for classes and retreats

I want to buy a sewing machine specifically for classes and retreats. My machine weighs 47 lbs. I can't hardly lift it and I hate using a new machine at classes. I don't want to buy a Featherweight because I tried looking for them on ebay and I'm not sure what I'm getting. I'm not sure how well they run for the money I put out. What would be a good inexpensive machine? Only a couple of hundred dollars?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 AM

I would check garage sales, estate sales and CraigsList. My main machine is a 35-year-old Kenmore which, like yours, is much too heavy to take to classes. At an estate sale I found a newer lightweight Kenmore that uses all of the same feet as my main machine and cost only $65. I found a Brother embroidery/sewing machine on CraigsList for $175 that is also lightweight and acts as my backup if my two Kenmores are threaded with the wrong thread or bobbin and I'm too lazy to change things.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 AM

From past experience......unless you enjoy the pleasure of learning a "new" machine every time you go to a class or retreat, try to buy one that is the same brand as the one you enjoy sewing on at home. I'd look for one that threads the same way, uses the same needles & bobbins & has a movable needle. Getting that scant 1/4 inch right by moving the needle is a must for me. Another key - Make sure whatever you buy can be returned if it pulls your material off to the right or left. Not all models of the same brand will sew the same.

All that being said - I use a Brother at home & at classes. I have a small Janome at a camp we have & it sews a really good seam, but the needle doesn't move. My 1/4 inch seams are not good if I can't move the needle so that I can line the fabric up to the edge of my foot.

Have fun shopping!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-12-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Brother has cheap light weight machines.
I bought one on Amazon for $89
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM

You can also get really good deals on Overstock.com (which is now o.co) for lightweight travel machines. They have a good selection of brands.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

How about a Singer 301A-? It weighs only 16 lbs.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM

I just won a singer 301 on shopgoodwill. I plan to use it for the same reason, lighter to take to workshops and retreats. I do have a featherweight that I have been using, just wanted more thoat space to try to learn machine quilting. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Brother does have nice machines that are affordable. Check out Walmart or check Amazon or here...www.allbrands.com
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Janome also makes a light weight machine and a number of ladies in our guild have them. I am fortunate to have mu Singer 201's but some classes may need a decorative stitch and I have a New Home 8000 if that is needed but I hate taking heavy things as we have our classroom up a set of high stairs.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM

FYI .....I bought a Brother XR-7700 from Costco for $139 with free shipping. It's lightweight and comes with all the bells and whistles including a walking foot. I'm very happy with it and it weighs less than 20#s. Only drawback is that it does not come with nor can you purchase a straight stitch plate for it.

There is a refurbished one with free shipping from Overstock.com for $136. It says it's blue but the color is really a lavender...