Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q: Can you cut bias strips on an Accuquilt Go? >

Q: Can you cut bias strips on an Accuquilt Go?

Q: Can you cut bias strips on an Accuquilt Go?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Question Q: Can you cut bias strips on an Accuquilt Go?

I'm thinking of getting one, and was wondering if I could feed fabric in to get bias strips for binding. Your responses are appreciated.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I have the Go but never tried to cut bias. I guess you could by laying the fabric on the bias before cutting.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

You can, but you would probably need to stop several times to straighten the fabric underneath the mat. I have to do this even when cutting straight grain strips so the fabric does not buckle in the middle (and get cut crooked). This is one reason why I prefer to cut strips with my June Tailor shape cut mat.

Whenever I cut bias strips, I heavily starch the fabric first. This helps no matter what cutting method is used.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM

You can but would get wavy lines from the fabric stretching while being cut; ask me how I know. Starching may help. You know that you don't have to use bias for binding unless you are doing curves. I'd rather use on grain so that I don't have that stretching. On grain would be no problem for the Go. I love mine.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You can, but you would probably need to stop several times to straighten the fabric underneath the mat. I have to do this even when cutting straight grain strips so the fabric does not buckle in the middle (and get cut crooked). This is one reason why I prefer to cut strips with my June Tailor shape cut mat.

I use my Go for 44" long strips and never had the fabric buckle at all. I cut four layers at a time. I wonder why your fabric would buckle or get crooked?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BplykP9p_OE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mItQREJSs30

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31164406/B...-GO-strip-dies
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use my Go for 44" long strips and never had the fabric buckle at all. I cut four layers at a time. I wonder why your fabric would buckle or get crooked?
I'm wondering if different machines come with different callibrations on the roller. Mine was very stiff at first, and I could cut only 2 layers of fabric using the large tumbler die. It loosened up somewhat with use, but when I do 4 layers of fabric with the strip die the fabric clearly stretches as it goes under the roller. If I don't stop midway, lift up the mat, and pull the fabric straight -- a wrinkle gets pressed into the fabric, and often the wrinkle creates a jag in the cutting line. I do place the fabric so the fold off the bolt goes in first, which means I am cutting on the crossgrain; they recommend cutting on the lengthwise grain. That may be why my fabric stretches. Is this how you cut yours? Or are you cutting on the lengthwise grain (which is more stable)?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I just ran across this Youtube tutorial on cutting bias binding strips with the Accuquilt Go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bplyk...ure=plpp_video
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 AM

Yes seen utube . Never tried it.