Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Needing information on my vintage new hope sewing machine >

Needing information on my vintage new hope sewing machine

Needing information on my vintage new hope sewing machine

Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Needing information on my vintage new hope sewing machine

I recently bought a new hope sewing machine at a thrift / salvage store for 10.00 it runs great and I need help on threading and where to oil if any points on it. the serial # LB315594 and if anybody can help me with a year. If anybody has a threading diagram please email it to [email protected].

thanks, Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Pictures would help us help you as far as the threading diagram and oiling. As a suggestion, if you see a hole on the machine, give a drop or two of oil. Underneath, at all places that rotate or move, give them a drop of oil.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Well usually you go from the spool to a thread guide somewhere on the front - there are exceptions... From the thread guide go down and around the tension. There should be a spring the thread wants to travel in, then around a post or a hook, then take the thread up to the lever with the hole in it and then back down to the needle. If all else fails post a picture. If your tension is on the side rather than on the front you have a Japanese 15 or a 15 clone. We have gobs of info on this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html somewhere on there are links to manuals and videos how to work a clone. If it is not a 'clone' we need a picture.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Please if you can post pics. I am thinking if it is lik the vintage new home I just bought I may be able to help you out. Mine is in a cabinet. I am unable to post pics. dh just refinished the cabinet and cleaned and oiled my Leslie. Don't think Leslie is very old but have been unable to find any info on her on the website. The books I have with the machine are very helpful in threading it. Oh by the way Leslie is a New Home Commander 700 and some of the things I found in the books that came with the machine make me think she is what they call a clone and japanese made. So If you are able to post a pic of yours maybe I can forward you some info. I haven't figured out how to post pics yet is why I don't. sorry.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]371496[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]371497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20100225174455.jpg   20100225174540.jpg   20100225175716.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM

The decal on the side shows New Home. Probably with a greyhound in between the words.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Hi ; my daughter posted pics for you !! thanks for the help
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Sorry Santa12 this is not what my machine looks like. I am sure yours is much older. Beautiful looking machine. Sorry I could not help.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Yes, it is a Westinghouse New Home Light Running produced in the 1950s. They take special CC1221 needles that are very hard to find. I have two NLBs and was lucky that one of them came with a couple of extra needles. The motor drive wheel usually has a thump as the rubber will have a dent in it from resting on the wheel. I ruined one trying to "fix" it but fortunately had a usable spare off the other one which is a parts machine. I believe that the drive wheels are still available and they are very easy to replace.

Mine sews like a champ. Have you found a manual for it? If not I can take a picture of mine threaded with yarn so you see the threading diagram. As for oiling, if you see a hole, oil it. If it moves oil it. Except for the motor. Is your wiring OK? Old wiring can be problematic. I will go fetch my manual and scan the important pages you need.

Also, the hand wheel turns backwards or away from you to pick up the bobbin thread and start stitching. Yes, it pays to read the manual.

Last edited by Caroline S; 10-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Yes, it is a Westinghouse New Home Light Running produced in the 1950s. They take special CC1221 needles that are very hard to find. I have two NLBs and was lucky that one of them came with a couple of extra needles. The motor drive wheel usually has a thump as the rubber will have a dent in it from resting on the wheel. I ruined one trying to "fix" it but fortunately had a usable spare off the other one which is a parts machine. I believe that the drive wheels are still available and they are very easy to replace.

Mine sews like a champ. Have you found a manual for it? If not I can take a picture of mine threaded with yarn so you see the threading diagram. As for oiling, if you see a hole, oil it. If it moves oil it. Except for the motor. Is your wiring OK? Old wiring can be problematic. I will go fetch my manual and scan the important pages you need.

Also, the hand wheel turns backwards or away from you to pick up the bobbin thread and start stitching. Yes, it pays to read the manual.

You need the manual or a diagram to thread the bobbin case, too.