Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Sacramento Ca - Am I in the wrong place? >

Sacramento Ca - Am I in the wrong place?

Sacramento Ca - Am I in the wrong place?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
MEB

Default Sacramento Ca - Am I in the wrong place?

Hi, I just joined and I'm not sure that this is what I'm looking for.. I am not a sewer/quilter. My mom recently passed and she was a seamstress for many years, worked at a fabric shop and was probably their best customer also. She has two 8x10 storage units and a home that are full of boxes of fabric, threads, trim, buttons etc.. , I saw multiple machines for sewing, surging, embrodering etc.. We have already donated a lot to the local senior gleaners where she volunteered but there is just so much! I am hoping to find someone in my area to help with either going thru some of the stuff, recommendations on where else I can donate, etc.. I really dont want to take the time to sell this stuff although I wouldnt mind recouping some of the storage fees I have been paying =) I have to empty her place by the end of the month, and hopefully the storage units soon also. If I'm in the wrong forum please tell me. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 AM
MTS
Banned

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would suggest contacting a local quilt guild.

Someone from the guild would probably help you go through the stuff, and could possibly organize a sale for guild members (maybe you offer to give the guild a % of the proceeds to incentivize its participation).

http://www.rivercityquilters.org/contact.html
(looks like they just had a quilt show this past weekend)
Contact the President.
If nothing else, they'll for sure take a bunch of fabric off your hands for making charity quilts
I don't know if there are other guilds in the area.
A local quilt shop would have that information.

If you were local to me, I'd gladly help you go through it (as would plenty of others).

I don't know if you'll be able to get anything set-up by the end of this month, not with the holidays, so you might have to place the fabric from the house into the storage lockers.

You might be surprised at how much $$$ is there.

Last edited by MTS; 11-20-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

Hi from Ohio and sorry for your loss. Have you contacted your moms church (or yours)? Maybe they have a sewing group that you could donate to. Does any of her friends sew they maybe interested also. Here's another idea - put an ad in craigslist. A lot of our quilters look on craigslist for fabric and sewing machines. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

i agree with MTS---contact the local guild & go from there- they will help you and make sure the items are (dealt with) in a good way. so sorry for your loss- I hope you can take care of things in a expedient way.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM

Welcome from Michigan
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM

I Do not think it, infect any one can join any board and discuss/share there matter. I think I am right.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM

i sent you a pm. i am in sacramento and a member of a local guild. i am sure we can find a home for your fabric. maybe even some money. contact me at the email i sent in my pm.
pat