Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna Excellence 740? >

Elna Excellence 740?

Elna Excellence 740?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Default Elna Excellence 740?

Does anyone have any experience with this machine, or Elna as a brand? I know they are made by Janome and the 740 is equal to the Janome 7700. I've pretty much decided on the 740 and hope to pick one up by early January. Just wanted to check in here first. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM

I have an Elna 750 and I love it. That being said I would love a Babylock Symphony like my sister's if I could afford it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 AM

I have the Elna 8200 embroidery machine which equal to the Janome 350 and I love it. That being said I did have to take it to shop last week because of a broken tension something or another. It will be a year old this Christmas which is a bit early for repairs but I do use it every day so maybe I wore it out :-) Other that this one problem its been a dream.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Thank you Cybrarian and Plumtree. There aren't as many reviews on the web as there are for other branded machines. It seems that there must not be as many owners either. I wonder if they have less of a US presence than Janome, Viking, Pfaff, etc... ?
I had been pretty set on the Viking Sapphire 875Q until I saw the Elna. All that throat space makes the Sapphire look tiny in comparison. It's only an inch bigger in each direction but the machine is also bulkier. And, the Elna comes with the integrated walking foot, 3 FMQ feet, 1/4" piecing foot, quilting extension table, knee lift, etc..... That's when I changed my mind!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM

I have a 43-year old Elna that I use every day. Can't speak to the newer ones, but mine has only been in the shop once for something stupid I did. Other than that, I have had to replace feet because it has been used a LOT from wedding dresses to Carharrt coveralls. Mine was made in Switzerland by Elna before they were bought out. I am hoping it never dies.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 PM

When I first got into sewing, my husband suggested an Elna. Since my MIL is still using one that she bought over 30 years ago. So I went for it. I bought an Elna 3230. I love it. I've never had a problem with it and I have had it for about 2 years. Mine came with a selection of feet that baffled me at first, and now I'm looking into purchasing some extra ones now that I am getting more adventurous.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Quilter 65 and Hylarie, thank you so much for your input. I was getting nervous about my choice because I couldn't find many people that use them. I guess another way to look at it is: the majority of people will be the most vocal when they don't like something. I'm feeling more confident about my choice ... now I just can't wait to be able to bring her home!