Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH is TRYING to fix my machine! >

DH is TRYING to fix my machine!

DH is TRYING to fix my machine!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Unhappy DH is TRYING to fix my machine!

Right in the middle of sewing a purse for my sister for Xmas, my bobbin jammed and tried to eat my fabric! Got it free, and now, can't get the thing to bring up the bobbin thread. Found a repairman right in my town, but Mr "why pay someone to do it when I can do it myself" started looking at it, took every screw out to get inside, found a broken needle and a glass head pin down below the bobbin case ( haven't broken a needle in several weeks) but they don't seem to be in the way, though he can't get them out, but is making me REALLY nervous!! It is a Brother PC420 Project Runway, and only 2 1/2 years old, and this is the first time I have had an trouble. I am really good about cleaning it regularly (the bobbin case) since I use it so much. Now, I am worried he might make it worse and cost me more money when he gives up and I DO finally have to take it in to be repaired! Please send good "fix it" thoughts his way!!! I don't have a back-up to finish this present, plus, I have a couple custom orders I have to get out!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Have you removed the fabric. I got caught in one of my machines and ended up cutting away. If you have to do this remove needle and foot and ease fabric up. I the used very shar embroidery needles to slowly snip at the jumble of threads. After a long time fabric free and no hole. If the needle stuck in down position I had to go to repair person although I might nowadays break the needle and remove with pliers first., and see what happens.
Otherwise no idea other than good clean with pie cleaner.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

If he can't fix it, then run to Walmart and buy a inexpensive portable machine to finish your projects. You'll have a back up for any other future machine emergency.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

A jam like that can throw the timing off. Although it's possible to fix timing on some machines at home, it's a pretty touchy thing. Most people would have a technician do it. Timing has to do with how the needle interacts with the bobbin. Once that is thrown off, the needle won't bring the bobbin thread up.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Oh, you poor thing!
I'm going to print this off and everytime someone wants to know why I have several machines, I'm gonna show them this!
You need to look for a good, inexpensive backup at a garage sale, CL etc!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM

It'll be alright. I took mine apart last week to get out a broken needle. Then I thought what the heck lets just take it all apart and clean it and look around. Its a Brother 450Q. The only advice I would give is to make sure his tools are not magnatic, thats if you have a digital display. If its not you should be fine. Might wanna check the hook to make sure you didn't scratch it with the jam. I've had to sand mine down before because it wouldn't bring up the bobbin thread with the burr or scratch on it. Sending my handyman good wishes your way!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Yay yay yay!!! He got it back together (still couldn't get pin or broken needle out, though), and I just tried it and seems to be working fine! He did have to re-adjust the thread guide for winding the bobbin, but after a couple tries, its now winding straight. Thanks for all your suggestions and good thoughts! BellaBoo, I think I will take your suggestion and get an inexpensive machine for a back up!! DottyMo, it was the thread in the bobbin case under the fabric that got jammed, a birds next of thread! I had to get under the fabric with the seam ripper and carefully cut each of those threads, trying not to damage the fabric. Once I did, and cleaned out the casing again, it seemed fine-until I tried to bring up the bobbin thread! Turns out, there was a metal bar that was reaching across the shuttle, and I didn't know where it came from or where it needed to go back to. DH managed to figure it out, and put it all back together, and NO SCREWS LEFT OVER!! Lovin that man of mine!!! Prism99, I read him your post about the timing, so will keep a watch for that. Thanks again, everyone!! Breathing a cautious sigh of relief!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM

I also have a brother pc 420. Although I would never let my hubby take any machine of mine apart, I am often brave enough to do it myself!

Last time that I had a major thread jam and then couldn't get it to run after I cleared the fabric out.... the problem turned out to be a small 1 inch hunk of thread that was caught in the hook mechanism of the thread cutter. The hook is off to the left of the bobbin shuttle, and reaches across to grab the threads when you use the automatic thread cutter. That little piece of thread kept the hook thingy from retracting fully and I guess it effected the way the bobbin shuttle is supposed to operate. Perhaps this is the metal bar that you encountered.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaNewt View Post
I also have a brother pc 420. Although I would never let my hubby take any machine of mine apart, I am often brave enough to do it myself!

Last time that I had a major thread jam and then couldn't get it to run after I cleared the fabric out.... the problem turned out to be a small 1 inch hunk of thread that was caught in the hook mechanism of the thread cutter. The hook is off to the left of the bobbin shuttle, and reaches across to grab the threads when you use the automatic thread cutter. That little piece of thread kept the hook thingy from retracting fully and I guess it effected the way the bobbin shuttle is supposed to operate. Perhaps this is the metal bar that you encountered.
DH says that is exactly what it was! But I think I dislodged it or something when clearing it, as there was no threads left after ai cleaned it. meh managed to get it back in place, though! Phew!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Glad he got it fixed so you can finish your projects.